Community police officers/Job Centre administrators

notts_ram

Seriously if you ever have an inferiority complex then become a Community Police Office or Job Centre signing on clerk if you cant make it as a traffic warden as today illustrates -

Was cycling to sign on at the Job Centre in Nottingham this afternoon and was stopped by a Community Police Officer for cycling on a pedestrian area, I turned round and told him that a cyclist had just passed him and he didnt say anything to him so why was he singling myself out? After getting rather annoyed with him I did constructively tell him that if he was going enforce people cycling on the pavement then he either does it for everyone or no one at all and rode off :)

Got to job centre, appointment was at 13.10 turned up at 15.30 as had interview in afternoon which I had informed them of this earlier in week. Was grilled by guy on desk as to why I was late, was grilled by guy signing me on subsequently for same reason. Was subsequently grilled as to why my signing on book was wet (no joke) I said funnily enough as its raining and I came on my bike as I object to paying bus fare to sit through this mindless drivel. Was then told I had to have an interview with another petty dictator.

Have never felt more like emigrating in my entire life, David Cameron you should be ashamed

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it went OK thanks, I remember fondly the days when you turned up for an interview, asked why you wanted the job then chatted about where you played golf or football then was offered the job that day. Today I had to have 2 rounds of interviews with separate people, presentation then an evaluation of my Personality Profile that I had to complete online last night to see if I would fit into the company's culture.

Then if I pass that lot today then I will be invited back for a walk round the factor and more questions from the Plant Manager. Its took 2 weeks just to get this far. People are trying too hard to make recruitment into some sort of exact science when its not. 

Yes it went OK thanks, I remember fondly the days when you turned up for an interview, asked why you wanted the job then chatted about where you played golf or football then was offered the job that day. Today I had to have 2 rounds of interviews with separate people, presentation then an evaluation of my Personality Profile that I had to complete online last night to see if I would fit into the company's culture.

Then if I pass that lot today then I will be invited back for a walk round the factor and more questions from the Plant Manager. Its took 2 weeks just to get this far. People are trying too hard to make recruitment into some sort of exact science when its not.

That is when people who are good at interviews get the job. Bullshitters i call them. Good luck.

We had a three day interview process for Line manager's roles a few years back, that was once they'd made the shortlist!

The ones who sailed through it with top marks turned out to be the worst people managers out of the group. Spend all their time preparing for presentations and meetings but utterly clueless and cowardly when dealing with the day to day stuff of running a production line.

I sympathise chap, occassionally I have to partake in these stupid recruitment days for our graduate program covering the "Technical Assessment" side. I really don't know the use of it as in my experience the candidates that would fit the role well (think scientist/engineer) are overlooked for the candidates who seem to throw out the most BS in the days other HR activities.

Best of luck anyhow, tough market out there still so keep the faith.

Archived