What formation do you think suits Derby's current squad (home and away can vary) and why?

sage

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't either. That's not wing back. That's right midfield like he played for some parts towards the end of the game on Saturday. Ward likes to come deep to get the ball, but also likes to run and go outside the defender. As we are so ***** at defending, I wouldn't set up the team to be anything like defensive. By having several players more advanced than usual, the chances are the opposition would be pinned back in their own half (think first half v Sheff Weds last season at home) and as such wouldn't be too adventurous attacking, knowing our attacking prowess. Most of my formation is on the theory it would make the opposition brick themselves. Most of our conceding of goals have been through the middle and hardly ever from the wings. I wouldn't be too worried about the opposition getting down the wings as they'd be too scared to.

Fair enough, the theory is nice. It would probably make for entertaining football, I'm all for the philosophy of you score 3 we score 4!!

Though I would say that there's a difference between trying to be solid and being defensive. I don't think that our defenders as individuals are bad players they just need to perform better as a unit and cut out the individual errors.

I'd like to think that McClaren with his coaching expertise would be able to get the defense sorted and keeping things tighter. We have some excellent attacking players but they do need a platform.

Fair enough, the theory is nice. It would probably make for entertaining football, I'm all for the philosophy of you score 3 we score 4!!

Though I would say that there's a difference between trying to be solid and being defensive. I don't think that our defenders as individuals are bad players they just need to perform better as a unit and cut out the individual errors.

I'd like to think that McClaren with his coaching expertise would be able to get the defense sorted and keeping things tighter. We have some excellent attacking players but they do need a platform.

Well, all you'd do, if things when wrong with my formation is push Forsyth back into the defence and it becomes a 4-3-1-2! lol

So basically you just want Forsyth to be more of a threat going forward than he is now?!

in a roundabout way. yes.

I want him to be in his strongest position, which I think is entering the final 2 sixths of the pitch, crossing into the box. I also want us as a team to be further away from the back line, thus forcing the oppo back to the edge of their box instead.

in a roundabout way. yes.

I want him to be in his strongest position, which I think is entering the final 2 sixths of the pitch, crossing into the box. I also want us as a team to be further away from the back line, thus forcing the oppo back to the edge of their box instead.

No doubt about it we're at our best when we're going forward and unlike some other teams we don't seem that vulnerable on the break. It looks to me that we're playing a higher line and pressing further up the pitch, so hopefully the more that is taken on board the more teams will be pushed back.

No doubt about it we're at our best when we're going forward and unlike some other teams we don't seem that vulnerable on the break. It looks to me that we're playing a higher line and pressing further up the pitch, so hopefully the more that is taken on board the more teams will be pushed back.

My ex bought me a DVD a few christmasses ago, 150 Premier League goals (obviously the Jim Smith era!). At the time McClaren was coach, you should see how many of the team were in and around the opposition area. It's mental to see when you compare to the last 6 years or so. 

Archived