NC to SUFC

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly, I think this is one of our better threads, actual sensible debate, some compromise and all without descending into tit for tat point scoring, my dad's bigger than your dad nonsense - well done us!

Regardless of what we all think about his success or otherwise a significant majority of fans will continue follow Clough's progress. As fans he's been an integral part of our lives for the last 4 1/2 years and even his most ardent critics have a certain soft spot for him. I for one hope that the feeling is mutual because I think it would be a great shame if any bitterness was carried forward into the future, he is after all, to all intents and purposes, one of us.

All but the completely deluded will recognise that Nigel did a huge amount to turn our football club around. Mostyn's phrase of nursing the club back to health is a fair summation of the majority view, taking into account the extremities of opinion. I think it's the last 12 months and potential future where most of our disagreements lie but it's hard to argue that he didn't leave the club in a far better place than when he found it. Whether or not another manager could have done the same or better is actually irrelevant, Nigel did and for that I thank him.

Most will also admit that he had certain limitations and faults, even the best managers in the world do. I hope that he is able to recognise and address these faults because I think if he can, he has the makings of a very good manger. Time will tell but I hope that he can continue to learn from his experience with us and look back on it as a positive step on his journey.

I thought his interviews on taking the job at SU were fair and straightforward, those suggesting that his comment about SU being a 'proper club' in some way meant that we weren't a proper club are way off the mark (he was talking about Forest!)

The illuminating bit for me was his comment about 'the last 9 months', where you can see a clear marker of some sort of personality clash between Nigel and Rush. With hindsight, and further time will tell, we could look at the Clough/Rush (Clush) period as a transfer in power at the club. Under Glick, Nigel held precedence because Glick, I don't think, really knew what he was doing, he was just there to try to translate football in to soccer for the owners. With the appointment of Rush came a big change with someone who had his own very clear ideas about how the club should be run, top to bottom. I suppose at some point, unless we were in the top 6, Rush would have wanted to push his ideas to the fore.

Whether that decision was right or not, none of us can say at this point, we're 2 1/2 games in but so far so good.

As for Clough, credit to him, he has been dignified in his exit, I hope he can move forward positively and successfully and look back on his time here with happy memories. There were some great results, some really positive foundations laid down and a genuine fondness for him from the vast majority of the fans.

I am sure at some point our paths will cross again and I hope he gets the positive reception he deserves!

Good luck Nige, against my wishes I will now be looking of for the League 1 results, as will a lot of other fans.

Funny old game...

Firstly, I think this is one of our better threads, actual sensible debate, some compromise and all without descending into tit for tat point scoring, my dad's bigger than your dad nonsense - well done us!

Regardless of what we all think about his success or otherwise a significant majority of fans will continue follow Clough's progress. As fans he's been an integral part of our lives for the last 4 1/2 years and even his most ardent critics have a certain soft spot for him. I for one hope that the feeling is mutual because I think it would be a great shame if any bitterness was carried forward into the future, he is after all, to all intents and purposes, one of us.

All but the completely deluded will recognise that Nigel did a huge amount to turn our football club around. Mostyn's phrase of nursing the club back to health is a fair summation of the majority view, taking into account the extremities of opinion. I think it's the last 12 months and potential future where most of our disagreements lie but it's hard to argue that he didn't leave the club in a far better place than when he found it. Whether or not another manager could have done the same or better is actually irrelevant, Nigel did and for that I thank him.

Most will also admit that he had certain limitations and faults, even the best managers in the world do. I hope that he is able to recognise and address these faults because I think if he can, he has the makings of a very good manger. Time will tell but I hope that he can continue to learn from his experience with us and look back on it as a positive step on his journey.

I thought his interviews on taking the job at SU were fair and straightforward, those suggesting that his comment about SU being a 'proper club' in some way meant that we weren't a proper club are way off the mark (he was talking about Forest!)

The illuminating bit for me was his comment about 'the last 9 months', where you can see a clear marker of some sort of personality clash between Nigel and Rush. With hindsight, and further time will tell, we could look at the Clough/Rush (Clush) period as a transfer in power at the club. Under Glick, Nigel held precedence because Glick, I don't think, really knew what he was doing, he was just there to try to translate football in to soccer for the owners. With the appointment of Rush came a big change with someone who had his own very clear ideas about how the club should be run, top to bottom. I suppose at some point, unless we were in the top 6, Rush would have wanted to push his ideas to the fore.

Whether that decision was right or not, none of us can say at this point, we're 2 1/2 games in but so far so good.

As for Clough, credit to him, he has been dignified in his exit, I hope he can move forward positively and successfully and look back on his time here with happy memories. There were some great results, some really positive foundations laid down and a genuine fondness for him from the vast majority of the fans.

I am sure at some point our paths will cross again and I hope he gets the positive reception he deserves!

Good luck Nige, against my wishes I will now be looking of for the League 1 results, as will a lot of other fans.

Funny old game...

Nice summary Rodley. Now lets move on. 

Archived