NFL thread

Perky1106

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, AmericanRam said:

@SaintRam

What you think about signing Laurinaitis? I think will be solid for NO,was hoping Skins got him.

An improvement on all but Anthony at LB, but that's not saying a great deal. We need a lot more, but it's a step in the right direction. He'll probably move to a side, as we'll likely want to keep Anthony in the middle. 

What do you guys think of the complete ban of chop blocks?

Ejection rule change still on the table today.

Other approved rule changes:

» PATs remain on 15 yard line.

» Offensive and defensive play-callers are able to use the headset communication system whether they are on the field or in the booth.

» A horse-collar tackle has been expanded to include the area "at the nameplate and above."

» A team will be flagged for delay of game if they attempt to call a timeout when they are not allowed to.

» The NFL has eliminated the 5-yard penalty for "an eligible receiver illegally touching a forward pass after being out of bounds and re-establishing himself inbounds, and makes it a loss of down."

» The NFL has eliminated "multiple spots of enforcement for a double foul after a change of possession."

In player news, the Bears have signed Josh Hill to offer sheet. Saints now need to match it or lose him. I'd be disappointed in losing him, I liked him more than Watson last season. 

Bit of a lame set of rule changes, nothing really game changing.

The biggest annoyance is the refusal to do anything about the Catch Rule. Instead, just patronising us by doing more to explain it. What a load of nonsense.

Yeah - the most concerning thing about the catch rule is that there was a Panthers (I think? Was it Superbowl or Champ game?) catch that after the replay was clearly a catch. Undisputably. No debate possible which hasn't really happened before -There have been times when most people say it was definitely a catch but the argument could be made - but this didn't touch the ground at any point.

Two camera angles showed this. Remained an incomplete pass.

Was a huge play too.  

Yeah, and they have the commentators and the ex-referees and everything saying it should be a catch, then it still stays incomplete. It's one of the most fundamental acts in the game, but remains the most convoluted.

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I wonder why the touchback change was seen as necessary? 

Trying to increase the number of return attempts? 

It seems contradictory.

They changed the kick off line to increase touchbacks due to safety, now do this to try and reduce them?

Or is it really reducing them? maybe it's to create more touchbacks by players deciding to take a knee more often because they can't get to the 25, whereas they could the 20?

Probably the latter

Five Worst Free Agent Signings

1.) Coby Fleener TE New Orleans Saints five-years $32 million ($18 million guaranteed)

The free agent tight end market was thin this year and there might not even be a tight end taken in the first round of this draft. Tight ends are a fundamental part of an offense nowadays with the middle of the field being wide open and the versatility of having a player who can block and catch. Because the supply is so low, and the demand is so high, we are now just thespians in a world where Coby Fleener is making more than $6 million a year and made $18 million just for signing his name.

The deal could be ok if Fleener was a top receiving tight end in the NFL. He isn’t though. His best year in 2014 he had a catch rate of 55%, a DVOA of 10.1% (15th), and a DYAR of 112 (10th). Without Luck in 2015 these numbers plummeted, and in the years prior he never sniffed this level of production. So, the Saints are paying for him to replicate something he has only done once on a team that doesn’t have the outside receiving talent that opens up the middle of the field like what he had in Indianapolis.

The deal could be ok if Fleener could block. He can’t do that either. He doesn’t have the strength to do anything other than get in the way on the line of scrimmage. If he was Jimmy Graham this is just an acceptance of life because of what he brings in the passing game. Fleener isn’t an offensive transforming weapon. He needs to be able to block to justify paying this much for him. He can do one thing a little bit better than the average tight end at six times the price.

The contract is atrocious and miserable. However, that isn’t even the biggest issue here. The Saints are in salary cap hell. They are paying Drew Brees $30 million, owe nearly $25 million in dead money, and whiffed on Jarius Byrd, Brandon Browner and Kenny Vaccaro, players who were supposed to vault this defense into a Super Bowl contender. But instead of playing austerity and trying out trying out the Carolina model by surviving with late round draft picks, bargain bin finds and UDFAs, they offered an enormous contract to a player who isn’t that good. This was money that could have been used to sign defensive talent that could help out the worst secondary, pass defense, and defense in the NFL. But noooooooo, they just had to go and give all that money to Coby Fleener.

http://thereadoptional.com/five-worst-free-agent-signings/

We'll see, could be right, could be not. People are rarely right regarding FA.

Saints got lauded for acquiring Jairus Byrd, was seen as an amazing signing that had no chance of failing. Same with Brandon Browner.

Equally so more people thought signing Brees was more likely to fail than succeed. 

I think Fleener will have far more opportunity to make plays in a Sean Payton offense. SP doesn't get people in for his offense he doesn't want and no-one we've signed on the offensive side of the ball in his 10+ years have not at least been value.

As a Saints fan, gotta have faith in Payton. 

Also "doesn’t have the outside receiving talent" isn't really true of the Saints, moreover in a Brees offense it has far less relevance. Every reciever/TE will be targeted by Brees in a game, it doesn't quite work like it does for other teams.

Graham would never get open, they said, we didn't have the talent to pull the coverage around. 

But we did pull the coverage around, because of the playcalling. And besides, Brees doesn't really need people open. 

From an unbiased point of view, of course it could fail. But I am biased, so i don't think it will. 

Just now, Srg said:

I just think he's a poor player. I would rather take either of our young TEs than him.

As I say, could debate the ifs for hours but not gonna know whatll happen.

But in an offense perfect for him and with Brees throwing him the ball, this is his chance to improve his stock.

If he flops the jury can no longer be out on him being a bad player, and we'll all hold our hands up :p 

Archived