NFL thread

Perky1106

48 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

Maybe it's me but (position-wise, not quality) I'm not massively keen on Ramsey. Safety isn't a huge value position. We've had one of the best safeties in the league on the team for the last few years anyway (Weddle), it didn't really get us anywhere. Would much prefer Bosa or Buckner, them put with the underrated Liuget and Mebane could give us a pretty decent defensive front, although there seems to be some worry as to whether Bosa could fit as a 3-4 DE. That line plus our developing linebacker core (Ingram, Perryman, Te'o, Attaochu) and a secondary featuring Verrett, 2014 Brandon Flowers and hopefully a FA pick-up like Thurmond and a draft pick of Su'a Cravens might have the makings of a mean defense.

Thoughts on best and worst teams of FA so far? Gotta say Raiders/Texans for best imo.

I'm not convinced by Texans, Osweiler is way too much of a gamble. Especially for crazy money, and if that goes wrong it doesn't matter what else they do in FA because that will marr it. 

Raiders and Jets I think are doing good work.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I'm not convinced by Texans, Osweiler is way too much of a gamble. Especially for crazy money, and if that goes wrong it doesn't matter what else they do in FA because that will marr it. 

Raiders and Jets I think are doing good work.

Really impressed by Raiders. 

On 3/10/2016 at 00:50, r4derby said:

The Raiders best 3 players last season were all draft picks. If Reggie can have another good draft, the Raiders could put themselves right back into contention for a division title. 

Hate that the Chiefs are in the same division as the Raiders. They're looking like they could be the real deal soon. And of course they had to take Sean Smith. :angry:

Martavis Bryant facing a suspension is a blow to the Steelers.

Ware has restructured his contract in Denver to become a more situational player, $8m of his $10m salary is now incentive based. 

7 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Falcons signed Sanu in FA after leaving Bengals.

5-yr contract worth $32.5m seems very excessive for, by all accounts, a bang average WR. Really skeptical about that one.

Works as backup QB money :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I certainly wouldn't have said that was the Falcons priority need.

They don't have much outside of Julio Jones though, in fairness. No Roddy White, no Tony Gonzalez anymore... that said, Sanu is a strange one. He will have a couple of games where you think he's on a breakout, then he'll do nothing for weeks.

I just think the Falcons have much more pressing needs, Mack was a good pick-up though - Ryan needs a lot more protection.

I'm not just having a pop at them because I'm a Saints fan here, I genuinely think they're worse than their record last season and that great start they had was a bit of an anomaly. While JJ is their only real quality reciever they have worse depth in plenty of other positions, especially considering the money they're paying Sunu, just doesn't seem like an intelligent move on any level. 

Frankly I want Saints, Falcons and Bucs to all improve because right now it's hard to see past a Panthers division win for the fourth year in a row.

The Saints have cap issues, so barring some excellent draft pick-ups (the likes of which haven't really been seen under Loomis) I don't really see the Saints improving much at all, if anything my eyes are on the Bucs. 

Sanu could be OK as a number 2 WR, not at that money though. It shows the pull of FA though, weak WR options, either young guys with average stats at best, or older options for a quick-fix. I would have wanted Sanu in New York, but not for anywhere near that cash.

As SRG says, he gives Matty another option outside of Julio, but needs to produce

I will say after seeing a couple of insights on it (having previously forgotten about it) the Jimmy Graham trade is looking like a major win for the Saints with the signing of (the cheaper, but you'd imagine less productive) Fleener. 

Max Unger, Stephone Anthony and Fleener's contracts combined probably aren't much more than the money Graham was on. 3 players with pro-bowl potential (fringe for the latter two). 

On the reverse, a lot of Seahawks fans have said their offense was worse with Graham in it (who did very little).

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I will say after seeing a couple of insights on it (having previously forgotten about it) the Jimmy Graham trade is looking like a major win for the Saints with the signing of (the cheaper, but you'd imagine less productive) Fleener. 

Max Unger, Stephone Anthony and Fleener's contracts combined probably aren't much more than the money Graham was on. 3 players with pro-bowl potential (fringe for the latter two). 

On the reverse, a lot of Seahawks fans have said their offense was worse with Graham in it (who did very little).

Can't agree about Fleener. He's awful. Way overpaid. Will still come out relatively productive playing in that offense, but look at Ben Watson - even he was productive. Saints had much better options to pursue - see Lardarius Green - and instead gave Fleener a $37m contract, which is awful for someone who plays soft and drops a tonne of open passes.

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

Can't agree about Fleener. He's awful. Way overpaid. Will still come out relatively productive playing in that offense, but look at Ben Watson - even he was productive. Saints had much better options to pursue - see Lardarius Green - and instead gave Fleener a $37m contract, which is awful for someone who plays soft and drops a tonne of open passes.

According to a Colts fan he only had 3 drops last season, compared to say Watson's 5, and at Colts it was pretty much a 50/50 TE partnership so his production will pick up. I can't defend him too much, I don't know THAT much about him I can only go by what I'm told but I think he'll be fine. Every #1 TE that's played with Brees has been one of the most productive in the league, and Sean Payton prefers the "big reciever" style TEs over the standard TE. 

I think he'll have the best year of his career next season, because he's joining a system perfect for his style and he'll be the #1 TE and not competing with anyone for snaps - but if he fails to be productive with Brees throwing him the ball then why he had any fans among Colts fans I've no idea.

Graham isn't all that when in a different system, for example. I think it's the Saints system that makes the pass catching TEs look great. 

24 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Still bemused as to why we cut Roddy White tbh. He was gutted too, proper one club man. Falcons version of Leon Osman, if you will.

It was a bit of a Derby-like season for Falcons - go six without loss, then lose 7. Somehow spoiling Panthers' unbeaten run at the end..

He's been pretty awful for like 3 years now though.

Archived