Pavement upgrade in Nottingham for fat people

Day

Isn't it great poking fun and making nasty comments at overweight people?

People shouldn't be beyond criticism for what, in most cases, amounts to a lifestyle choice.

Neither it is prejudiced or unreasonable to pass comment when they are a disproportionate drain on public resources.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People shouldn't be beyond criticism for what, in most cases, amounts to a lifestyle choice.

Neither it is prejudiced or unreasonable to pass comment when they are a disproportionate drain on public resources.

Well, Billy's big fat greek signing won't be a drain on the gumps resources....

Critisism is one thing, name calling is another.

And perhaps the lifestyle 'choice' would be made better if supermarkets didn't market the less nutritional, higher fat convenience foods as much cheaper. Families are hard up, a lot don't really have a choice when vegetables, fruit and leaner cuts of meat are so expensive. It's not always possible to make the better choice is it? As a result, people gain weight.

People could do the takeaways less, yes, but that's only one aspect of it and I think supermarkets need to change the way they do things but while they're making tons of money by basically dominating what people buy, will they ever change it?

A lot of people need educating, not just the overweight.

Critisism is one thing, name calling is another.

And perhaps the lifestyle 'choice' would be made better if supermarkets didn't market the less nutritional, higher fat convenience foods as much cheaper. Families are hard up, a lot don't really have a choice when vegetables, fruit and leaner cuts of meat are so expensive. It's not always possible to make the better choice is it? As a result, people gain weight.

People could do the takeaways less, yes, but that's only one aspect of it and I think supermarkets need to change the way they do things but while they're making tons of money by basically dominating what people buy, will they ever change it?

A lot of people need educating, not just the overweight.

I agree with what you're saying to a degree, though nutritious foods such as brown rice, pasta, tinned tuna cost pennies to buy and prepare if you can be bothered - the easy option is to waddle or drive down to the local chip shop or takeaway every night and wash it down with some cans of lager at home.

The major point that fat people seem to overlook is the simple equation if your consume more calories than you work off you will put on weight - so you don't have to watch what you eat if you take regular exercise and arent sedentary as long as you're burning off more than you're consuming. Which is why I have little sympathy for fat people as they do have a choice as to what they eat and whether they can be bothered to exercise as well.

It's not always possible to make the better choice is it?

If there is a choice, then yes, by definition. That is what choice means.

Ironically, in trying to shift the blame to the supermarkets, you are highlighting the more fundamental problem; people refusing to take responsibility for their own lives.

I'm not trying to shift the blame and yes, people should do more about their sedentary lifestyles but it's not all about people going to the chippy, there's more than one aspect to it.

Some people don't know how to cook, because there's no-one to show them, this is why more is being done at Primary schools to tackle it. If more people understood more about nutrition from an early age, the better things would be. Instead, they're taking the easy route which leads to problems later.

I know loads of skinny teenagers who eat crap at dinnertimes. Yesterday I saw one have a big tube of pringles, 2 bloody lollipops and a bottle of full sugar red bull. The school does nowt about it and neither do the parents, yet because he's skinny and doesn't gain weight, he's not ridiculed, almost like as though he isn't overweight, it's ok to do it.

It's a worrying thing to see day after day, because sooner or later it will have an effect on their health but to quote them "not bothered, I'm not fat". This is normal to them and they will be tomorrows chippy customers, plus they do have parents who choose the convenience foods. In their naivety, they will readily admit it when asked about cooking in general. It's cool to most of them to show a blase acceptance, bordering on resignation. I find that sad, not least because I can see the cycle starting again.

There are some who don't care I agree, in a lot of cases there's nothing stopping them from getting up from their chairs except idleness. I wish people would take more responsibilty and do see your point.

Besides educating, I don't know the solution. Maybe the supermarkets could colour code food more so it's easier? Maybe more taxes on unhealthy food as has been suggested before in the media? But again, for a lot of people, it's going to come down to price, this is what I'm trying to highlight in the recipe thread, to try and make it a bit easier on the pocket.

Some people don't know how to cook, because there's no-one to show them

Kids are taught about nutrition and healthy eating in year 7 food tech, and have covered enough basic meals for anyone to live on by the end of year 9. I don't think it is lack of information or skills, plenty of perfectly well educated people are overweight.

If there is a problem in the current education system, it's that kids are overprotected from experiencing the consequences of their own actions. It's the teacher's fault if they don't make enough progress, it's the manufacturer's fault if they're too fond of coke and crisps. At what point are they expected to learn that the buck stops with them?

Taught at school yes. What about at home?

In a lot of cases, definatley not. If it's not continued, skills learned are quickly forgotten.

And they're kids. They need role models, as in parents and schools who enforce supposed rules on packed lunches for a start.

I used to eat nothing but crisps, chips and drink panda pop's at school, veg was punishment, salad was pet food and not for me...I'm ******* gorgeous now, didn't do me no harm.

I don't buy this people need to be educated ****** sorry, people have to want to be educated. It's 2013 now and even if you don't have access to the Internet at home go to a Internet cafe or library. Information is out there for those that want to be educated, don't need to waste more government money.

After a brief spell of going overweight I wanted to be educated last year and I educated myself, nobody forced me, I didn't look at magazines thinking I wish I could fit in a size 6, I just personally felt like losing weight. I don't eat fresh veg every day, I still eat crisps, chocolate and microwave meals, I know I'm not the most healthy person out there but I've kept my weight down by learning about calorie intake, burning calories and when to eat.

I know everyone isn't as great as me but I still feel that you have to want to lose weight, you have to want to be educated.

I used to eat nothing but crisps, chips and drink panda pop's at school, veg was punishment, salad was pet food and not for me...I'm ******* gorgeous now, didn't do me no harm.

I don't buy this people need to be educated ****** sorry, people have to want to be educated. It's 2013 now and even if you don't have access to the Internet at home go to a Internet cafe or library. Information is out there for those that want to be educated, don't need to waste more government money.

After a brief spell of going overweight I wanted to be educated last year and I educated myself, nobody forced me, I didn't look at magazines thinking I wish I could fit in a size 6, I just personally felt like losing weight. I don't eat fresh veg every day, I still eat crisps, chocolate and microwave meals, I know I'm not the most healthy person out there but I've kept my weight down by learning about calorie intake, burning calories and when to eat.

I know everyone isn't as great as me but I still feel that you have to want to lose weight, you have to want to be educated.

dfshpd etc....

I lost 3 and a half stone last year over a period of about 4 months, no one made me, I got fed up with ignoring the fact that my shirts didnt fit any more and kept coming out of the top of my trousers and the trousers I did have I couldnt fit round my waist - put it down to them being shrunk in the wash, self denial is a wonderful thing. Cut all of the junk food out of my life, hit the gym, the more you exercise the more endorphins you generate so you feel more like doing other things afterwards rather than slobbing in front of the telly, its a positive feedback loop. I dont go crazy with the gym  anymore but do go out on my bike a lot, rather than take the car 2 miles up to local asda I either cycle or walk, saves me money, cuts out the co2 emissions and keeps me healthy. You can get a MTB for less than £100 from Ebay. No brainer. No excuses. No sympathy. 

Taught at school yes. What about at home?

In a lot of cases, definatley not. If it's not continued, skills learned are quickly forgotten.

And they're kids. They need role models, as in parents and schools who enforce supposed rules on packed lunches for a start.

You are right on the colour coding thing LR.

The government was very close to introducing this. It would have been a traffic light system with a little coloured bar on the packaging, RED having high salt, fat or sugar content, GREEN the opposite and AMBER somewhere in't middle.

The food industry and the big supermarkets fought and lobbied so ferociously behind the scenes that it was dropped.

It would not have cost the taxpayer a penny.

The food manufacturers would be able to use up all the packaging in stock before switching, ie, little or no extra cost to them other than a redesign of the packs 

The possible benefits to the country were/are phenomenal: long term saving on treatment of preventable diet related illnesses, less lost working time (benefitting the big employers).

So why was it dropped, why the intense pressure from big business not to implement this simple and clear message on packs of food?

Basically, they were worried shitless that people would realise what they are buying. Even the most uneducated Jeremy Kyle-type, notts pavement walker would be able to see at a glance if the stuff they were force feeding their kids was reasonable fare or not.

So, LR, you are right and Daveo is wrong. ;)

I'm not wrong, I was wrong the other week that's this year sorted.

Stick as many different colours you like on food and people will still eat it, just like people still smoke with all these messages on fag packets now, can't tell me that smokers out there are puffing away thinking its not doing any harm?

...another reason some people gain weight is through illness and medication.

No! I hear you all shout! That old chestnut? Just an excuse!

The fact is, it's unwanted but real.

There are side effects from certain conditions, weight gain is one of them. It happened to me when I first started taking the pill, listed under the 'contra-indications' on the white bit of paper, there it was. Weight gain.

Circumstances such as these can't always be blamed on the persons lifestyle, so this is why I don't want to judge. I'm not perfect either, who is?

Archived