glen johnson to liverpool £19million

derbydan

LIVERPOOL have won the race to land Portsmouth's £19million full-back Glen Johnson.

The England defender is expected to have a medical on Merseyside tomorrow - unless Chelsea or Manchester City can gazump the Kop at the last minute.

Johnson, 24, has opted for Anfield after emerging as one of the most sought-after men in the Premier League this summer.

And his signing is a real coup for Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez, who feared the club's financial crisis would force him out of the bidding.

There is still the slight possibility Liverpool could be thwarted, with Chelsea determined to re-sign the man they sold to Pompey for just £4m two years ago.

And City are willing to pay the Londoner £100,000 a week to move to Eastlands.

Johnson only signed a new four-year deal with Portsmouth in January but has made no secret of wanting a bigger stage.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cant help but think it could mean £9mill i think thats a more sensible figurethan 19. there isnt many english players who could go for that much, and glen johnson i wouldnt say is one of them, hes very good but still think that price is a bit steep

Originally posted by Thornhill;18891

Gareth Barry 12m

Glen Johnson 19m

That's 31m for 2 'okay' players.

Have to agree with that comment.

Wasnt too impressed with Johnson's performances for England, but will watch how he gets on this season. When LFC bought Benayoun, i was the first to say "wtf" but he had a great season.

Originally posted by vicky-27;19047

He did set two of the goals up Boycie - None of them are worth the money - what will happen to all the small clubs in a few years time if they don't put a cap on it - they just won't be able to afford to buy anyone.

He set up 4 of them vs. Andorra

Chelsea have matched Liverpool's bid for England star Glen Johnson.

Portsmouth accepted a £17.5million bid from Liverpool earlier this week and the 24-year-old looked set to seal a move to Anfield.

However, Pompey chief Peter Storrie has confirmed the club have also now agreed terms with Chelsea - Johnson's former club.

The in-demand full-back now has a decision to make, with both sides keen to tie up a deal this week.

"The matter will come to a conclusion at the beginning of next week. I do not have a preference over the move, it is up to Glen," Storrie said.

"The deals are almost identical so it really is down to him and what club he prefers, which one is going to pay him more money.

"Glen wants to play regularly in the Champions League, he has got himself back in the England side so I understand that. Sometimes you have to be fair to players."

Storrie admits that Johnson needs to be playing Champions League football next season in order to secure his place in Fabio Capello's starting XI - with the World Cup finals now less than 12 months away.

"It's a big year for him with the World Cup coming up," he continued.

"Playing Champions League football will make him an even better player than he is today."

[url=http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5388201,00.html]http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5388201,00.html

• 2 weeks later...

Liverpool have confirmed that England defender Glen Johnson has signed a four-year deal at Anfield.

The former Portsmouth right-back moves to Merseyside as boss Rafa Benitez fine-tunes his squad for an assault on the Premier League title and plans for the UEFA Champions League.

Johnson was a target of ex-club Chelsea and Manchester City but has opted to move to Liverpool where he is expected to be a first-choice selection in the Reds' back four.

The fee is believed to be in the region of £17.5million, but there is some uncertainty regarding expenses still owed to Liverpool from Pompey following Peter Crouch's transfer to Fratton Park.

Benitez told Liverpool's official website: "We were thinking about bringing in players with quality - that's the first thing.

"He is also English and that is important for the Champions League list. We were thinking about improving the team and Johnson is a very good player who will do that.

"He was important at Chelsea and in the last year at Portsmouth he has improved and is much better.

"One of the main things is his mentality - it's really good. He is a winner. I was impressed with the conversations I had with him. He wants to improve.

"We knew the market was going to be difficult this summer and some of it has been crazy. Manchester City and Chelsea were there - they were making offers.

"We had to be quick and the club acted quickly. It was down to the player whether he chose us or City or Chelsea and he chose us. It was very clear from talking to him that he wanted to play for Liverpool."

Johnson's arrival casts Alvaro Arbeloa's future into doubt, with Real Madrid reported to be interested in the Spaniard.

[url=http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5402511,00.html]http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5402511,00.html

Archived