Marriage and Children

PrivateDerby

marriage.  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marriage is really a pretty minor decision. Although everyone hopes that it is for life, in reality, you can always change your mind and get out. OK, so there'll be some emotional turmoil, but surely only the same as getting out of any long term relationship.

The enormous, life-changing, monumental, Mount Everest sized decision is having kids. They change your life in ways you wouldn't believe possible. As a parent, you're every decision is taken with them in mind. You can't ever just walk away from the relationship with your children. If you have children you are also bound for life to their mum - even if you split with your wife/partner, you will have to remain in contact to some extent due to the kids.

So my advice is don't worry about getting married. If it ever feels right just do it. Do, however, take your time over the decision to reproduce - although try not to leave it too late as conceiving gets harder with age and being an 'older' parent can be pretty challenging.

This.

For me, the ultimate commitment is having kids, it says "for life" to me.  She was still absolutely gagging to get married though, I think women still have this thing that getting married will make them feel more secure.

So we just managed to scrape enough peenies together for a bargain-basement wedding.  And have to admit, it was a great day, far better than I imagined!

I've been with my girlfriend for 4 years now, she was 16 and I was 18 when we got together - she was diagnosed with cancer 3 months after we met, so it's been a bizarre path to get to this point but it made us a very strong couple early on. 

it's the little things in life, as opposed to the big gestures that keep you going through every day, be yourself and more importantly do things YOU want to do. I find too many relationships break up due to being under the thumb to THEN wanting to break out - I've never made any excuses about what I want to do, obviously you can make exceptions and sometimes you have too.

I think everyone is made up of different stuff, some people aren't made for relationships and if I was them I wouldn't worry, just do what makes you happy and then you won't have any regrets! 

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, I asked my 80 odd year old Granddad about it and after laughing for a while he said -

"The trickiest bit of it all is realising you've got a good'un because you always f*ck it up or b*gger about" 

Suppose I could give it a try  <_<

Archived