Computers and Privacy

GeneralRam

With all the stuff that governments etc are trying to pass through in regards to our communications and privacy - is anyone actually bothered or is it only me?

Personally, I connect my internet through an encrypted VPN connection to prevent anyone seeing my traffic. I trust no cloud services either so I have set up my own on my home server. Also, this weekend I will be setting up my own e-mail server on the same box to stop anything going through a 3rd party. I also have other preventative measures which I won't mention.

Now for example - you've got the new Xbox which tracks your room, essentially watching everything you do. I've read today about something called PRISM. Which gives the US government access to Microsoft/Google/Apple etc server any time they please - if I bought the new Xbox they could see me dick helicoptering the machine anytime they wish. Not that I helicopter my cock at the Xbox every chance I get - but you get the picture.

If you are not bothered about privacy - why aren't you? Put this into perspective - If me and you are in a pub connected to their WiFi, I can view all of your traffic, I can get all of your username/passwords being used at that time with very little effort on my part. Just because I can, doesn't mean I actually will but the same principle applies..... 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not bothered in the slightest, I'm not upto anything illegal so have nothing to hide. Never use wifi outside the house mainly because its pants and I may as well use the 3G data bundle I've got included in my deal.

Not bothered in the slightest, I'm not upto anything illegal so have nothing to hide. Never use wifi outside the house mainly because its pants and I may as well use the 3G data bundle I've got included in my deal.

But that's besides the point, it doesn't matter if I have something to hide or not.

The point is I'm not bothered and why should I be?

It's clearly not being used to track Daveo in Grimsby's forum posts, tweets and Amazon purchases, they might start if I'm looking at bomb making forums and child .

If it catches these sickos and terrorists then great, I'm all for it, they can come and stick a tracker on my Mac if they want.

What will you be doing about your mobile phone, stop making calls and texts so MI5 are not watching you text your Dad asking him to bring a KFC home?

The point is I'm not bothered and why should I be?

It's clearly not being used to track Daveo in Grimsby's forum posts, tweets and Amazon purchases, they might start if I'm looking at bomb making forums and child .

If it catches these sickos and terrorists then great, I'm all for it, they can come and stick a tracker on my Mac if they want.

What will you be doing about your mobile phone, stop making calls and texts so MI5 are not watching you text your Dad asking him to bring a KFC home?

My phone is routed though the same VPN....

But that's besides the point, it doesn't matter if I have something to hide or not.

It might be worth hiding your paranoia.

If the government or police wants to know what I do with my computer or listen to my phone, feel free. As long as they don't empty my bank accounts. Of course the next thing is that some ten year old smart ass will hijack my computer and start posting here on my name.

SillyBilly

Maybe one day I'll be locked up when I refuse to wear my state-provided electronic tag - its for my own safety afterall. And ofcourse, if I wasn't doing anything illegal anyway, what was I protesting about?

I don't see the difference really.

Archived