Sheffield United "prehistoric," says Graham Arnold

CumbrianRam

A-League winning coach Graham Arnold claims he has turned down an offer from Sheffield United and dubbed the club's development blueprint 'prehistoric.'

The 49-year-old, who previously coached Australia, guided the Central Coast Mariners to the title last season and says he was approached by United director and former manager Dave Bassett.

Arnold said: "In all honesty, I didn't have to think too long or too hard about it. It just wasn't for me.

"Forget that the financial offer in itself was quite poor, but I would have been taking three steps backwards in my development as a professional coach if I had gone."

"I walked out of that meeting with the club's board and football director Dave Bassett, and said 'wow'. It just blew me away.

"Being one of the bigger lower league clubs, I was expecting a lot more in terms of how they wanted to develop as a club on the field.

"But they just didn't seem interested when I was talking about playing a short passing game and taking the football another level up. It was about smashing the ball long and working on set-pieces.

"It was prehistoric stuff. That's not the way to develop a football team."

The sooner English football get rid of the likes of Dave Bassett, the better

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11683/8754144/A-League-winning-coach-Graham-Arnold-rejects-Sheffield-United-job

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived