Speaker System

SillyBilly

SillyBilly

Can anyone recommend a good speaker system for a large sized living room (multi-use - TV/laptop/parties)?

I'm not too technology savvy, reading specifications online tends to get me confused with all the technical jargon.

From looking at the web prices tend to start at £200+ and go from there. I have a budget of up to about £700 (first or second-hand) but am open to suggestions. Emphasis on good sound quality and well-built (not too bothered about flashy displays etc.).

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Visit the AV forums website.........

Its a great site, full of advice and great information from the ordinary punter!!

Speakers are very personal things..you need to use your own ears to decide what is best for you...also bare in mind that those speakers that you have just listened to in a hifi demo- sound deadening panneled room...wont sound the same in your own living room!! A good AV-HIFi shop should let you take home and audition befor you buy.

My set up has SVS fronts and Centre,  SVS PC Sub and 4 speakercraft in-ceiling for the rears :D

Oh .. and the most important speaker if you are going the Av road, is the centre speaker.

Yep, go to those AV forums to get some info.

OR Qi-serie speakers are perfect for my taste, but those might be little bit over your budget... Audio Pro Avanto 5.0 is IMO best value for money so definitely worth checking those out (and you wouldn't need a subwoofer).

If you're looking for Yamaha amplifier, stay with new ones. Old are pure ****.

Spending so much money on something, wouldn't it be wise to test those first? Find good shop and test your system in your living room, not in shop. Demand some service..

OR Qi-serie speakers are perfect for my taste, but those might be little bit over your budget... Audio Pro Avanto 5.0 is IMO best value for money so definitely worth checking those out (and you wouldn't need a subwoofer).

Spending so much money on something, wouldn't it be wise to test those first? Find good shop and test your system in your living room, not in shop. Demand some service..

Maybe you wouldnt need a sub for music with the A pro,s... but for films you defo need to get a sub ;)   A good test DVD is kraftwerks "minimum-maximum" DTS 5.1 played at reference level :o

SillyBilly

To be honest, I can move on the budget, I want something I can have for a few years and not need to upgrade so don't mind paying a bit extra if its worth it.

I've heard similar advice Re. Yamaha.

This weekend I'll go back through this thread and look up everyone's recommendations.

Didn't even cross my mind to have it tested ha....

Maybe you wouldnt need a sub for music with the A pro,s... but for films you defo need to get a sub ;)   A good test DVD is kraftwerks "minimum-maximum" DTS 5.1 played at reference level :o

Stick with those two that I recommended and you don't need a sub, those get lower than human ear can hear. But of course, if you want to FEEL the bass, sub should be built inside sofa (like I'm gonna do...) :D

To be honest, I can move on the budget, I want something I can have for a few years and not need to upgrade so don't mind paying a bit extra if its worth it.

I've heard similar advice Re. Yamaha.

This weekend I'll go back through this thread and look up everyone's recommendations.

Didn't even cross my mind to have it tested ha....

I'm pretty sure that best advice is to walk in the shop, tell your budget and what you're looking for. If they are not allowing hometesting, someone else will. 700£ is surely so much money that you don't want to buy a pig in a poke?

Archived