Derby Syn + Zanzibar

westbrom1404

I've been hearing the Syn nightclub in town is going to be re-opened. On their Facebook page, they're posting pictures of work going on in there and asking people if they want it back. Anybody heard anything like this as well??

Also, Zanzibar by Wilko's, was this a Nightclub? When did it close down?

Just for interest 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zanzi closed down a couple of years ago now something to do with the roof not being safe & it costing to much to repair I think then the chain went bust not long after. Always Used to get the crowds in tho probably the busiest place in town on a friday / saturday despite it being atleast a 5 min walk from most of the nightlife probably because it was so big & had 3 different floors / areas for whatever type of music taste you had unless your one of them make up wearing emo boys.

Never went in Syn not since it was Destiny & elite so not sure what it was like anyway

Zanzi closed down a couple of years ago now something to do with the roof not being safe & it costing to much to repair I think then the chain went bust not long after. Always Used to get the crowds in tho probably the busiest place in town on a friday / saturday despite it being atleast a 5 min walk from most of the nightlife probably because it was so big & had 3 different floors / areas for whatever type of music taste you had unless your one of them make up wearing emo boys.

Never went in Syn not since it was Destiny & elite so not sure what it was like anyway

Sounds good, always wondered when and why it was closed down. Always interesting to know though.

Syn was ok, for a student night on a Monday, but because its shut down they've moved the event to Nono8 and the Sunlounge. Its utterly awful in my opinion, ironically called Maze because it is one.

Never heard of Syn, Destiny or Elite but I thought I heard the other day they were trying to do the Rockhouse up again - is it that?

Not sure what the Rockhouse was to be honest. Syn is by Macklin Street.

Which brings me to my next question, theres this huge looking building right at the end of Macklin Street opposite a few chip shops. I was told this was a theatre but not sure?

It used to be the pink coconut for all you oldies then it was destiny then Syn

Ah yes I remember the Pink Coconut, we used to drop the girls off there and we went up to the Rockhouse (later the Future Club maybe last known as "First Floor"?).

The Sitwell Tavern, Vic Inn then Rockhouse/Future Club. Great days them.

Archived