Mark Burton: "Brian Clough would be turning in his grave" at Derby style of play

CumbrianRam

I hate the perception that Barca are the best team in history, ever, since the beginning of time. It's simply not true. Puskas and di stefano at real along with cruyff's Ajax and beckenbaurs Munich side might have something to say about it. U just can't truly state this with true certainty (that's aimed at u bris).

Back on topic, I think our 3rd goal was an excellent example of passing football. I'm not going to say we play like barca, arsenal or even Swansea or brighton but we are playing far better than we have been recently.

And finally I didn't read all this thread cos I got bored of the tooing and froeing of long arguments and over inflated opinions presented as the only way to think (again, aimed at u bris)

We're much better than Brighton when it comes to playing football - I don't know how the myth about them goes around.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're much better than Brighton when it comes to playing football - I don't know how the myth about them goes around.

Having my dad as a season ticket holder and going to a number of their games last year and the season before, i can safely say, that what you've just said simply isnt true.

Having my dad as a season ticket holder and going to a number of their games last year and the season before, i can safely say, that what you've just said simply isnt true.

I've watched them a number of times, they're a well set up team but a stand out footballing side - not at all. They're perhaps one of the most powerful sides in the division, with a lot of strength in the team and are the best (for my money) at defending, that's because a lot of the time they play this structures style of keeping the back 4, a back 4, the midfield keeps it's shape with the outlets going down the wings and CMS who runs the flanks.

A 'footballing' side they're not the best - they're a worst side than us in this aspect.

They're however an organised side with key players in key positions - they're hard to beat more than anything.

They're hard to beat cos they try and keep the ball for as much of the game as possible, which especially away from home can lead to quite boring matches, hence our game against them being 0-0. It was obvious that game though what they do, and footballing wise they were far better than us, if not very attacking.

The strong comment isnt true at all, if anything they lack strength. Barring their centre backs (which side hasnt got strong centre backs) and Dean Hammond they're actually quite light weight. Bridcutt, Barnes and Orlandi are all quite small/slim with no other player having the physique to be labelled strong.

Keeping the back 4 a back 4 also isnt true, in Bruno Saltor and Wayne Bridge they've probably got the two most attacking full backs in the division, if you've watched them you must have seen them bomb forward for a lot of the game. Hence why both have scored a couple of goals each this season, as well as creating goals.

At times away from home they're quite negative, but that's rarely, they scored 3 in their last away trip, cant remember the last time we done that. They keep the ball better than us and although their home results might not show this, they create a lot of chances at home. If they had some decent strikers (like us actually) they would be much higher up the table. They absolutely battered Bolton on Saturday.

I've watched them a number of times, they're a well set up team but a stand out footballing side - not at all. They're perhaps one of the most powerful sides in the division, with a lot of strength in the team and are the best (for my money) at defending, that's because a lot of the time they play this structures style of keeping the back 4, a back 4, the midfield keeps it's shape with the outlets going down the wings and CMS who runs the flanks.

A 'footballing' side they're not the best - they're a worst side than us in this aspect.

They're however an organised side with key players in key positions - they're hard to beat more than anything.

Are you serious? A team that plays 4 passes along the back before punting it long isn't a footballing side.. You really must have taken in NCs soul destroying survival hoofball of the past 3 seasons if you now think we're a good footballing side..

Brighton are a team that do their utmost to play the ball out from the back.. Using the midfield to shield, protect and play through as a source of reaching the strikers.. DCFC never ever ever ever ever do this.. Everytime we recieve the ball at the back it's 3 or 4 passes and then it's punted down field.. We can look pretty when we recieve the ball in the final 3rd and pass it, I'm sure NC works on that, but he'll never be the manager to get from one end of the pitch to the other in a pasing move.. It's punted long and hope for the 2nd ball, hence why Sammon is his key cog..

If you take the thirds of the pitch as A........B........C as A being the defence, B being the midfield and C being the front guys.. It never gets played through like that, Brighton play the ball through midfield (A;B;C) Derby play the ball as (A;C) we don't use the midfield to pass the ball through.. Someome mentioned how Derbys 3rd against Brum was the typical passing football.. The ball was picked up in the final 3rd, we did no work whatsoever to get the ball in that position other than squeezing the space and forcing a mistake (which is good)..

We don't ever play passing football in 2 thirds of the pitch and we don't ever create chances with the ball being played out from the back.. We play percentage football.. The same type of football that Everton use to successfully finish about 8th every season and win nothing..

Are you serious? A team that plays 4 passes along the back before punting it long isn't a footballing side.. You really must have taken in NCs soul destroying survival hoofball of the past 3 seasons if you now think we're a good footballing side..

Brighton are a team that do their utmost to play the ball out from the back.. Using the midfield to shield, protect and play through as a source of reaching the strikers.. DCFC never ever ever ever ever do this.. Everytime we recieve the ball at the back it's 3 or 4 passes and then it's punted down field.. We can look pretty when we recieve the ball in the final 3rd and pass it, I'm sure NC works on that, but he'll never be the manager to get from one end of the pitch to the other in a pasing move.. It's punted long and hope for the 2nd ball, hence why Sammon is his key cog..

If you take the thirds of the pitch as A........B........C as A being the defence, B being the midfield and C being the front guys.. It never gets played through like that, Brighton play the ball through midfield (A;B;C) Derby play the ball as (A;C) we don't use the midfield to pass the ball through.. Someome mentioned how Derbys 3rd against Brum was the typical passing football.. The ball was picked up in the final 3rd, we did no work whatsoever to get the ball in that position other than squeezing the space and forcing a mistake (which is good)..

We don't ever play passing football in 2 thirds of the pitch and we don't ever create chances with the ball being played out from the back.. We play percentage football.. The same type of football that Everton use to successfully finish about 8th every season and win nothing..

Did you see Bryson's goal against forest?

Did you see Bryson's goal against forest?

The one against 10 men where we won the ball in midfield and constructed a move with acres of space to reach their penalty box?

Yes I saw it, it was the only passing move in 90 mins done by 2 poor sides in one of the most woeful matches I had ever seen.. I put had because the Sunderland-Stoke game topped that.

I love your posts, you never fail to amuse me. You clearly never watch the football being served up at Pride Park. It is all about quick short passing, players trusting each other to receive the ball while still under pressure. Sometimes it is an absolute joy to watch. You are funny 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I love your posts, you never fail to amuse me. You clearly never watch the football being served up at Pride Park. It is all about quick short passing, players trusting each other to receive the ball while still under pressure. Sometimes it is an absolute joy to watch. You are funny 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Or an attention seeking WUM

Of course he is, all clowns are funny!

I've seen every game this season.. We never do that..

I think people are confusing the nice little interchanges in the final 3rd when picking up the 2nd ball from a long punt from the defence to a team that builds from the back and retains possession in midfield..

The two are worlds apart..

We don't play passing football

Or an attention seeking WUM

Excatly, he only gets away with it by claiming to be a derby fan...he probably has a user id on every English football forum and has a graph for how many bites he can get by saying the same thing :-)

I think people are confusing the nice little interchanges in the final 3rd when picking up the 2nd ball from a long punt from the defence to a team that builds from the back and retains possession in midfield..

I think you need to invest in a wider screen young man. It must be taking place off screen if you are missing it. Although you really do amuse me, I think that your constant sniping at all things Derby County means has resulted in you having little credibility with a lot of posters, and perhaps more than a little of a suspicion that you just do it for a reaction. But for me.... I look forward to it.'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Bris there are different kinds of passing football.

Barca passing which is the only one you think exists and if a team doesn't play like the they're ****.

Long passing or hoof (Stoke)

Quick pass and move.

Or the kind that us and forest play patient, along the ground with them being short or long and a lit of dribbling down the wings.

Why do you bother supporting derby when all you do is sit there in mexico slagging us off. And ripping into people who's opinion differ from yours.

Very true. Its not passing football - its like playing a game of hot potato!

Excatly, he only gets away with it by claiming to be a derby fan...he probably has a user id on every English football forum and has a graph for how many bites he can get by saying the same thing :-)

I'm a football fan.. And then I'm a Derby fan.. I'm also a Barca, Jaguares and Spain fan..

Why would I waste my time going on every football forum in England to say the same thing.. When most of it is obvious?

Being a football fan at least gives me a realistic approach to Derby.. The amount of tripe and bumlicking that goes on on here with Derby is laughable.. Trying to convince yourselves that we're something that we're clearly not is embarassing and people actually laugh at us..

If this thread got doing the rounds on other NPC boards they'd all be wetting themselves at the amount of delusional comments coming from fans here.. But we're not the same, I'm sure Palace fans genuinely believe Zaha is the next Ronaldo and Forest fans genuinely believe they'll be a global brand soon..

There are many posters, myself included, that actually contribute well to these boards as we offer abit of realism.. I don't understand why we get shot down and called WUMs just for being realistic.

The one against 10 men where we won the ball in midfield and constructed a move with acres of space to reach their penalty box?

Yes I saw it, it was the only passing move in 90 mins done by 2 poor sides in one of the most woeful matches I had ever seen.. I put had because the Sunderland-Stoke game topped that.

So if we get given loads of space, it doesn't count?

How about the winner on Saturday? I suppose that was hoofball?

Archived