Life, the universe and everything.

Boycie

Yanks out!

No seriously, what's it all about?

You look up into the night sky and wonder, what's out there? Have all them stars got planets of there own that may contain intelligent life forms like you find in Derbyshire?

We are here for a short flash in time when you look at the bigger picture.

Does it all matter? What's the point? Do we even care? Are we being watched by another universe like some reality universe programme?

Discuss,

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything is pointless, whether you're some crack head or raise millions for chairty, it's all going to end in the same eternal nothingness so you might as well enjoy yourself while you can.

I'm **** scared of dying, the pointlessness of everything depresses me as well, so i try not to think about it.

Kepler is proving that that the majority of stars in our Sun's category have not just gas giants but also the small rocky planets just like our very own little Earth.

However only a very few of the rock planets have been found in the Golilock's zone where it's "not too hot and not too cold".

Only problem with these advances in discovery will be the more nutters claiming UFOs and ET being on his way to visit.

What's more plausible is that 'life' exists on the moons of Saturn and Jupiter. Beneath the frozen surface there are oceans where the sea floor meets an active volcanic layer where vents can form just like in our very own oceans which can create and harbour life albeit on the microbiological scale

Hope that helps Boycie!

The evidence seems to be piling up that there was once life on Mars and as Butthead suggests I think Europa is now the new hunting ground, life is probably widespread across the universe but the chances of finding intelligent life....well you'd have better odds on guessing the number of grains of sand in the Sahara.

Are there other universes? Possibly. M-theory.

It doesn't matter at all which is the beauty of it to me, you're inconsequential and I find that comforting than the thought of somehow lingering in body or soul for eternity. You live, you die, just have fun as EKR says. We're no more important to the universe than a parasitical worm in your intestine, we meet the same end. Just my take.

Everything is pointless, whether you're some crack head or raise millions for chairty, it's all going to end in the same eternal nothingness so you might as well enjoy yourself while you can.

I'm **** scared of dying, the pointlessness of everything depresses me as well, so i try not to think about it.

I'm not scared of dying, I just don't want to be there when it happens. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

i often wonder why we are here and if we are here for a short time why is our life governed by work, money, rules

Is it just this planet that sustains life if so why are we so special, do our deceased family really look down from the stars (personal thought that one)

Did we really put man on the moon and if we did why havent we done it since and if we do have technology like that why the hell can't we cure cancer etc???

i could go on all day and bore the hell out of you all even more so i'll go and chew G's ears off again about all this 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

i often wonder why we are here and if we are here for a short time why is our life governed by work, money, rules

Is it just this planet that sustains life if so why are we so special, do our deceased family really look down from the stars (personal thought that one)

Did we really put man on the moon and if we did why havent we done it since and if we do have technology like that why the hell can't we cure cancer etc???

i could go on all day and bore the hell out of you all even more so i'll go and chew G's ears off again about all this 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Just to make it worse, we are just made up of the elements made in a dying star that spread all the gas and dust in a supernova. Our sun and planet formed out of these supernova remnants.

Kind of p#sses on those Creationists rather 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Whilst the evolution of life on Earth is as close to unique as you can possibly get, for me probability says there must be a similar planet which has undergone similar events to make life possible. Whether that life can be intelligent, no idea.

The reason we've not gone back to the moon or as planned after the lunar landings we should have already been to Mars, is both political and economic. The Cold War powered the space race, so when that ended so did the political will. Any such mission to Mars takes years to plan and undertake and we cycle through recessions quicker than that timeframe.

Anybody who does'nt want to believe we went to the moon are just as f#cked in the head as those that believe in Creationism and alien UFOs.

As for curing cancer, they are trying and ironically medicinal science is a lot more complicated than the science of space,

Yanks out!

No seriously, what's it all about?

You look up into the night sky and wonder, what's out there? Have all them stars got planets of there own that may contain intelligent life forms like you find in Derbyshire?

We are here for a short flash in time when you look at the bigger picture.

Does it all matter? What's the point? Do we even care? Are we being watched by another universe like some reality universe programme?

Discuss,

Are you OK ?

I'm not one to question why we are here or how we got here but whilst I'am here intend to

1. Have fun

2. Make as much money as I can to make 1. even easier

3. Have as much sex as possible

4. Enjoy as much alcohol as I can without shortening my life

5. Watch Notts Forest get relegated to the Blue Square Premier

After all that when my number is up I just hope it's quick and painless

Archived