50 days...

RamOfKansas

Until college football season starts. A fair warning, expect me to go overboard on references to how Kansas State is doing. Hopefully we won't have two teams from the same division in the same conference in the title game again. This video is worth watching if you wanna get the idea of what last season was, though they give Kansas State not a single positive highlight(*****) but hey we get the main picture for the video even if it is our QB being sad after a loss.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to live in America for a bit, and follow some US football, I imagine the atmosphere is so much more chilled than a footie match, and that college level is so highly regarded is commendable.

I've never understand why folks overseas would somehow assume that our atmosphere is chilled compared to your football. I mean, I know you have a history of riots in the stands but not every match is a riot is it? I will say that I don't think it's much different. We have fights between opposing fans, most everyone is drunk, and it's an all day event complete with a tailgating army in the parking lot. I mean last year I almost ended up having to fight my way out of the Oklahoma State student section(yes I was sitting with the home fans as a visitor, and I probably shouldn't have talked so much trash) and at a Chiefs game a couple years ago I walked into the restroom and a Broncos fan was getting the absolute piss knocked out of him by a couple of Chiefs fans who were rather disgruntled we were losing.

I think it's because I assume everyone is fat, sat drinking beer, eating pretzels and hot dogs. And I suppose College football is different, but obviously the NFL teams have vast distances between them, so I can't imagine to many traveling fans. Our furthest fixtures are Middlesbrough, Ipswich, Cardiff etc. and they are still probably closer than a typical NFL away trip.

Again, please correct my ignorance.

I do admit we lack in travelling sections of fans. But the thing is, NFL team fanbases are far more widespread in America, meaning that a lot of fans don't even travel that far for an away game at times. For evidence, somehow Kansas is home to strong contigents of New England and Pittsburgh fans among others. While there is a sense of local pride in your team, there's still a good sized contingent of any fanbase in any large city in America. So while they don't come in giant blocs, they are spread out throughout the home crowd rather than in their own designated sections. College sports are probably more like what you're used to, fans actually do travel and sit in their own section(still some intermingle with the home crowd). Their is a stronger sense of local pride to it rather than the sometimes willy-nilly approach some NFL fans take to it. Furthermore we have our own sort of singing sections that you would have I guess, except they're the current students at the college who are the real noisemakers at any game standing most of the time and taking in part in the chants, songs, and such.

On the whole fat American thing...well you see more of that in the lesser educated NFL fans than you do in a typical collegiate fanbase. Both are still drunk, but yeah NFL fans are way dumber on the whole and typically don't get quite so fired up the entire game as college fans do because how do you cheer when you have a Pretzel in your mouth, a beer or soft drink in one hand and a hot dog in the other?

Ah well, saves getting a trapped nerve in your neck I suppose... joking aside that's a shame, might have been worth going up if you weren't up to much, wearing a rams shirt of course.

One day, I hope the Rams visit Kansas City. Oh, I'll be there completely decked out in Rams gear.

I like QB who can run too. He moves well for a 6'5. Doesn't seem to be afraid of tackles when running. How is his arm at longer passes ? Expecting streams when the season starts. I love college football.

He's a bit rough on passing, we're hoping for an improvement in that area this year. He was a dark horse long shot heisman candidate last year by virtue of his 27 rushing td's which is absurd for a QB(he only had 13 passing). If he gets some of the kinks worked out of this awkward throwing motion then we're talking big things. He's definitely a better long ball thrower than Tebow at least.

You can be sure to get the hookup on streams. Though K-State is sometimes rather protective of their streams due to their own stream service for games that they charge for.

Archived