What happens to the money

observer

Hi talking to a few mates yesterday, and why arent derby in a better financial footing!

is it that the accounts we see include all the mistakes and its the clearing up of that, why we make a loss

Do the club not make enough revenue per match against other clubs.

All we keep getting told is we need to cut costs but we seem to be one of the best supported teams in the league with the one of the lowest wage budgets so how are we in such a bad position where there are millions short fall every year????

I understand some clubs are happy with this and only a few can sustain it, just seems crazy to me

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi talking to a few mates yesterday, and why arent derby in a better financial footing!

is it that the accounts we see include all the mistakes and its the clearing up of that, why we make a loss

All we keep getting told is we need to cut costs but we seem to be one of the best supported teams in the league with the one of the lowest wage budgets so how are we in such a bad position where there are millions short fall every year????

I understand some clubs are happy with this and only a few can sustain it, just seems crazy to me

no parachute payments or income from players so to speak which can plug gaps, look at the losses ipswich make year on year though, thats with the wickham sale also.

We're in a fair position, but parachute payments gives teams a big helping hand when covering losses.

That was certainly true for the first few years after relegation, we should be through that now.

That is part of it, we don't make as much per ticket sold as other clubs do.

Some clubs still have parachute payments helping them.

Some clubs have a big financial backer who are or have been pumping money in.

Some clubs have basically been gambling on promotion, are in massive debt and not far from going pop if not for more "saviours" (vultures?) coming in.

And there maybe one or two who are trying to live within their means like us.

That was certainly true for the first few years after relegation, we should be through that now.

That is part of it, we don't make as much per ticket sold as other clubs do.

Some clubs still have parachute payments helping them.

Some clubs have a big financial backer who are or have been pumping money in.

Some clubs have basically been gambling on promotion, are in massive debt and not far from going pop if not for more "saviours" (vultures?) coming in.

And there maybe one or two who are trying to live within their means like us.

These are the ones most likely to be involved in a relegation battle

Well, last year, relegated were Portsmouth, Coventry and Doncaster.

Portsmouth were in the process of "popping" after relegation, Coventry are close to going bang and running up debts for years and Doncaster I'm not sure - they were doing those crazy loan deals with that agent.

So on the whole I'd say, not really.

Sad to say, this is spot on.

FFP is a joke - even if teams took it seriously then there are countless ways around the rules.

I'm beginning to think that football has long since gone past the point of no return.

Well, last year, relegated were Portsmouth, Coventry and Doncaster.

Portsmouth were in the process of "popping" after relegation, Coventry are close to going bang and running up debts for years and Doncaster I'm not sure - they were doing those crazy loan deals with that agent.

So on the whole I'd say, not really.

Portsmouth are likely an exceptional case. Doncaster followed a mental plan of trying to buy their way to safety, and Coventry have been on the verge for a good few years.

Unfortunately, the likes of Portsmouth, Doncaster and Coventry are in short supply.

Unfortunately, the likes of Portsmouth, Doncaster and Coventry are in short supply.

Bristol City, Forest at the moment, Palace were in trouble not sure if they're getting themselves sorted now. Erm, Hull finished up 8th last year but I thought financially were pretty precarious, if they could plummet if things suddenly turn for the worse.

The point is you don't have to look far for clubs who are running close to a thin line and every year the relegated clubs also have massive challenges.

I think far more important than how much money you have is how well you execute what you've got.

Bristol City, Forest at the moment, Palace were in trouble not sure if they're getting themselves sorted now. Erm, Hull finished up 8th last year but I thought financially were pretty precarious, if they could plummet if things suddenly turn for the worse.

The point is you don't have to look far for clubs who are running close to a thin line and every year the relegated clubs also have massive challenges.

I think far more important than how much money you have is how well you execute what you've got.

Well this is certainly true - as evidenced by the muppets at Leicester. Money is no guarantee of anything, but it certainly could make things easier if you have the right management in place. Clough's success rate with players who he's paid money for is pretty good. I'd be interested to see what he could do with a bit of dosh.

I think for clubs like Portsmouth, Doncaster and Coventry, their plight was in having neither money not a clue on the management front. The writing was on the whole for Donny when O'Driscoll went. Coventry were always going to struggle as they have a largely inexperienced manager, as did Portsmouth. Palace will likely be alright as they have Freedman who's proving himself to be a half decent manager. McInnes could go either way at Bristol City, and Forest, well it depends on what happens with their ownership. Keep Cotterill and they're in trouble, but I doubt they'll keep him.

I for one think that this is the last season any clubs (outside of prem) can run at a loss and make any form of headway. Next season this new system of spending what you make could make for some interesting times to come. I for one say we need to be a dominant force both on and off the pitch in the Championship before we can think of going into the premiere league. After all. We would get lets say £50 million for promotion. But who the hell would want to sign for us. Our track record on signings and contracts aint exactly the best is it. And if we got an offer for a purchesd player in the january window as long as the club made a few quid they would sell him anyway and sod the future.

Yanks dont understand football. sorry GSE SOCCER where you come from.

Archived