I think I'm going to die.

RamOfKansas

Not at all, if you read the article it clearly states this "This could lead to strategies that enhance the regenerative potential of organs as individuals age and so increase their quality of life. Whether it serves to increase longevity is a question we are not yet in a position to answer."

Also if you read the article while it can be applied to mice to apply it to any human is far more difficult.

Aren't you the guy who is really excited about the potential of "growing" our meat? I really don't see how this is at a different stage at all.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Justin Timberlake film? If I ever find myself in a position of serious boredom to the point I'm thinking it would be a laugh to cut my knob off with a rusty blade.......I might consider watching it.

TAKE THAT BACK! Justin Timberlake is an American and World treasure. He also brought the sexy back!

Not at all, if you read the article it clearly states this "This could lead to strategies that enhance the regenerative potential of organs as individuals age and so increase their quality of life. Whether it serves to increase longevity is a question we are not yet in a position to answer."

Also if you read the article while it can be applied to mice to apply it to any human is far more difficult. To gain immortality we shall have to get off this rock, find somewhere suitable to live after the sun blows up and live to the end of time. Of course this shall not happen and to state humans will one day be in a position where they never die is in my view fanciful.

No, no, we're going to live forever.

All of us.

But, whenever they try this stuff out on mice it always works for humans aswell...probably.

Anyway, it might at least enable us humans to walk around more easily in old age and keep our senses.

On a serious note, I actually had someone explain this to me as the atmosphere was changed by a world covered with water and all those born after the fact didn't live as long. That's how you know I really am a Kansan from the Bible Belt. Our state sorta, kinda banned the teaching of evoloution in most primary education classes. THAT'S WHO I LIVE WITH!

Seriously though, I'm sorry I can dream about what could be and you can only see what is. I guess that's why America took over as the center of Western Civilization post-WW2. The American Dream or something like that. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Watch the movie "In Time" with Justin Timberlake. It sorta works after a fashion, dystopically.

Your dream would quickly turn into a nightmare which would lead to our extinction relatively quickly. People seem preoccupied if they can, they don't stand back and think if they should. No America took over because they were the only country which wasn't bombed out, had mass industry ready to make fridges instead of tanks and had a population who were relatively wealthy who could spend money.

Aren't you the guy who is really excited about the potential of "growing" our meat? I really don't see how this is at a different stage at all.

The 'growing' of the meat is a possibility with genetical enginering over a long period of time and also for parts of the human body you need special cells which are unlike normal flesh, we couldn't do that with our bodies as such in the same way.

Your dream would quickly turn into a nightmare which would lead to our extinction relatively quickly. People seem preoccupied if they can, they don't stand back and think if they should. No America took over because they were the only country which wasn't bombed out, had mass industry ready to make fridges instead of tanks and had a population who were relatively wealthy who could spend money.

Don't use economical-social "facts" to undermine the Greatest Generation and the American Dream. Mericuh and truthiness will always win in that argument.

No, no, we're going to live forever.

All of us.

But, whenever they try this stuff out on mice it always works for humans aswell...probably.

Anyway, it might at least enable us humans to walk around more easily in old age and keep our senses.

so after I have shown that even your article states they don't know and have no evidence for it you just keep saying yes, it doesn't always work for humans. I have a friend who studied A level biology and he argued that in the future we could slow the ageing process down significantly however it would incur all sorts of problems and we would die. We wouldn't live forever and our body would deteriorate. I hope it does lead to possible cures for dementia and stiff knees and such.

The 'growing' of the meat is a possibility with genetical enginering over a long period of time and also for parts of the human body you need special cells which are unlike normal flesh, we couldn't do that with our bodies as such in the same way.

We couldn't do that, yet.

Don't use economical-social "facts" to undermine the Greatest Generation and the American Dream. Mericuh and truthiness will always win in that argument.

so true though and the american dream is the biggest myth going, it was true maybe 60 years ago. However now America has just about the worst rate of social mobility in the western world. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' /> Sad but true, and Britain is little better on that front. You mean the greatest generation which for a good period of time denied that cigarettes caused illness? that exploded nuclear bombs on islands which are now uninhabitable and also affected quite a few Islanders? It wasn't just America the world was extremely backwards back then.

so after I have shown that even your article states they don't know and have no evidence for it you just keep saying yes, it doesn't always work for humans. I have a friend who studied A level biology and he argued that in the future we could slow the ageing process down significantly however it would incur all sorts of problems and we would die. We wouldn't live forever and our body would deteriorate. I hope it does lead to possible cures for dementia and stiff knees and such.

Heh, I was only jesting.

Repeating the trick in humans will be more difficult. Mice make telomerase throughout their lives, but the enzyme is switched off in adult humans, an evolutionary compromise that stops cells growing out of control and turning into cancer. Raising levels of telomerase in people might slow the ageing process, but it makes the risk of cancer soar.

DePinho said the treatment might be safe in humans if it were given periodically and only to younger people who do not have tiny clumps of cancer cells already living, unnoticed, in their bodies.

So, the elderly probably won't have a chance at this early stage of discovery but, it's a step forward. They've found a 'higgs boson', maybe that'll help?

We couldn't do that, yet.

ROK, no and we will never be able to. The Human body is a finite commodity if you will, you cannot make something infinite if it is made to be finite. Also in 50-60 years maybe 70 at a push we run out of oil, humanity shall probably enter a new dark ages as we cannot find a robust solution to that problem as of yet. So forget about immortality and that hopeless delirium of disaster and concentrate on something that shall help us, get a clean version of oil which is sustainable.

so true though and the american dream is the biggest myth going, it was true maybe 60 years ago. However now America has just about the worst rate of social mobility in the western world. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' /> Sad but true, and Britain is little better on that front. You mean the greatest generation which for a good period of time denied that cigarettes caused illness? that exploded nuclear bombs on islands which are now uninhabitable and also affected quite a few Islanders? It wasn't just America the world was extremely backwards back then.

I've always thought it unfair to judge our ancestors. Different times, and we didn't live in them. We aren't nearly so progressive as we all like to think we are. I mean literally every generation thinks those preceding them are extremely backwards. I enjoy when you use intellectual arguments with an American though, proving that you aren't nearly as intelligent as you'd like to believe. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> Seriously, who tries to use reason, science, or logic in debates? Are you some sort of commie?

Heh, I was only jesting.

So, the elderly probably won't have a chance at this early stage of discovery but, it's a step forward. They've found a 'higgs boson', maybe that'll help?

I know, I am sorry it is 1.30am in the morning here and I have a crashing headache and I cannot sleep thus I am cranky 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' /> Again though while it could be administered to younger people theoretically a) they would need human test subjects to take part in trials lasting 50-60 years possibly even longer and 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' /> in the article it does state they do not know if it significantly increases age, they don't even know if it would work in humans only in mice.

I know, I am sorry it is 1.30am in the morning here and I have a crashing headache and I cannot sleep thus I am cranky 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' /> Again though while it could be administered to younger people theoretically a) they would need human test subjects to take part in trials lasting 50-60 years possibly even longer and 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' /> in the article it does state they do not know if it significantly increases age, they don't even know if it would work in humans only in mice.

Cheer up ya grumpy sod. We don't know, yet!

BTW, I started this all by quoting Ricky Bobby from Talladega Nights. That should tell you something.

http://bios.weddingbee.com/pics/127222/RickyBobbyHands

I've always thought it unfair to judge our ancestors. Different times, and we didn't live in them. We aren't nearly so progressive as we all like to think we are. I mean literally every generation thinks those preceding them are extremely backwards. I enjoy when you use intellectual arguments with an American though, proving that you aren't nearly as intelligent as you'd like to believe. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> Seriously, who tries to use reason, science, or logic in debates? Are you some sort of commie?

Of course it is unfair to judge them it is why I said we were all 'backwards' back then because the people knew no different and many good people believed in bad things George Washington had slaves I believe. It is why the term of the 'golden' generation is not true. Except the people who are about 60 have had it best for material living with pensions and personal wealth and the like. Of course I'm a commie 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> I can air mail you the communist manifesto by Engels and Marx if you want? I know you there won't be a single copy in America 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Archived