Son Of My Father (new book about being a rams fan)

loweman2

Just looking on Amazon and i noticed this new ebook (for download from itunes (ibooks) or amazon for kindle or just to read on PC, its only £2.84 so i thought it might be worth a punt, its about a lifelong derby fan born in 1975 in Long Eaton and his life following Derby with his dad, other than that I know nothing about it, just thought i would pass it on as it could be interesting.

[url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Son-My-Father-County-ebook/dp/B006W6JUR0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1341072526&sr=8-4]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Son-My-Father-County-ebook/dp/B006W6JUR0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1341072526&sr=8-4

[size=1]

To the backdrop of driving through clouds to Oldham, to driving rain in Bristol, Son of My Father explores the changing relationship between father, son and their football club. From the eyes of a hero-worshipping four-year-old, through to a relationship of mutual admiration and shared understanding, via the angst and traumatic misunderstandings of an adolescent, matches from Leyton to Liverpool punctuate a story about growing up at the end of the second millennium.

The novel includes the family life as well as the football and what it was like supporting Derby County in a house occupied by a brother whose allegiance stood steadfast towards rivals Nottingham Forest. It also covers the friendships that were made at school, just because we supported the same team.

Along with the changing faces of managers and players: the fads, news and music of the eighties and nineties are brought to life, as well as the dawning of the new millennium where overnight we all realised that despite the Y2K Bug promising computer meltdown, 1 January 2000 was just the same as 31 December 1999.

Son of My Father charts the relationship between the author, his Dad and Derby County Football Club, from their first visit together to the Baseball Ground in November 1979 and through two and a half decades spent watching their team.

Craig Trembirth was born in Long Eaton, Derbyshire, on the first day of 1975. His Dad took him to Derby County’s Baseball Ground in 1979 before he’d even gone to school.

He was educated in Derbyshire before emerging with a degree from Durham University. After a string of temporary jobs and a year in Bristol, Craig then returned to the East Midlands and spent nine years teaching road safety lessons in schools, first in Nottingham and then in Derby.[/size]

{content}

[size=1]

[size=4]Book Review[/size] [size=3]13 Mar 2012[/size][/size][size=1]

[size=3]By Birkin[/size] - Published on Amazon.com[/size][size=3]

Format:Kindle Edition[/size][size=4]

Having been brought up in Long Eaton and my first taste of the Rams was during the 80's this seemed to be a must read. I thoroughly enjoyed the good humour and atmosphere, recalling the matches that i attended. An excellent read for any Rams fan. Well Done Craig. Particularly as we have just beaten Forest.......again![/size][size=1]

[size=4]Not just for Derby County fans![/size] [size=3]22 Jan 2012[/size]

[size=3]By Desert Greydog[/size] - Published on Amazon.com[size=3]

Format:Kindle Edition[/size][size=4]

I have to admit that I rarely finish a book. And I have never read an e-book before. But a friend of mine alerted me to this book, written by his mate, and so I thought I'd give it a chance. And it was fantastic! Cover to cover in four evenings!

Whilst football is the backbone, this book is really a light hearted journey through the authors life, from aged 4 to near 30, with friends and family coming and going, and with 'dad' taking centre stage.

I'm not a Derby County fan (wrong generation, and from the wrong part of the world), and that probably makes the book more enjoyable because a) you don't know what's coming next 'on the pitch', and 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' /> you can enjoy the vivid descriptions of events and places that you have never seen.

Add to this a nice sprinkling of schoolboy humour, and a very sad end to this painfully true story.

A great piece of writing, and highly recommended to anybody that ever went to watch the footy with their dad.[/size][/size][/indent]

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read something that i did not know and thought i would share.

when the rams won the championship in 1972 and 1975 brian clough and dave mackay used 16 players each for the whole season, those included colin boulton, ron webster, colin todd, archie gemmill, kevin hector, alan hinton, roy macfarland and steve powell who played in BOTH championship winning sides, you just cant imagine the same 16 players being fit each week can you for a whole season, nowdays we cant go week to week and name the same squad let alone a whole season and still having 8 players there three years later to repeat it, i never realised that there were 8 of them who won it twice with derby what a great achievement.

Just read something that i did not know and thought i would share.

when the rams won the championship in 1972 and 1975 brian clough and dave mackay used 16 players each for the whole season, those included colin boulton, ron webster, colin todd, archie gemmill, kevin hector, alan hinton, roy macfarland and steve powell who played in BOTH championship winning sides, you just cant imagine the same 16 players being fit each week can you for a whole season, nowdays we cant go week to week and name the same squad let alone a whole season and still having 8 players there three years later to repeat it, i never realised that there were 8 of them who won it twice with derby what a great achievement.

It's different times though. Everyone had smaller squads and lots of players just played with niggling injuries. The game wasn't played on the limit of what the human body could do. In short, you could play a player with a slight knock and who's knackered from last week's match and is still feeling last night's drinks with the lads because the team you're playing also has several players like that too.

In this era with complex diets, intensive training, innovative fitness techiniques etc you need to have players 100% fit otherwise you might as well not bother fielding a team.

That's not to belittle the achievment, even then that was an impressive number but nowadays it's bordering on impossible to do it with fewer than 20 players I'd suggest.

As for the book, I'll download that and thank you very much for pointing it out to us. Good spot.

Archived