U.S. vs Italy Friendly-Does the U.S. finally beat the Azzurri?

RamOfKansas

Match takes place tommorrow at 1:30 pm(my time-ya'lls time would be 7:30)

Seems like Landon Donovan is holding out with Bronchitis, and there's a few other hold outs for the Americans due to injuries. Italy seems to have a depleted frontline.

My boys are 0-7-3 vs Italy(4-32 goal difference). Their the team we've played the most without tallying a single win. Does that change now? I highly freaking doubt it, but if we're ever going to actually be more than a middle of the road/bottom feeder, Jurgen Klinsmann is more apt to do it then Bob Bradley ever was. It's fine to just play ugly and try to slug it out with far superior teams, but evuantally we've gotta fight back and actually try and be more than what we are. America has never had more young talent coming up the pipe than right now. But anyway come up with your own jokes about how bad Italy is going to whomp us.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Italy aren't the force they used to be- getting a bit long in the tooth these days. With it being a friendly I doubt they will be trying particularly hard either. On the other hand your lot should be right up for it as Italy would be a good scalp. With your youth and enthusiasm together with your increasing ability you should have a chance of recording a win, I'll be cheering for you if that's any help?

Italy aren't the force they used to be- getting a bit long in the tooth these days. With it being a friendly I doubt they will be trying particularly hard either. On the other hand your lot should be right up for it as Italy would be a good scalp. With your youth and enthusiasm together with your increasing ability you should have a chance of recording a win, I'll be cheering for you if that's any help?

We do finally have a real serious top goal scorer from the PL in Dempsey...he could carry us but I don't even think he needs to. Despite our inconsistent results since the Klinnsman era started, we have had plenty of younger guys doing well.

Yep, the future certainly looks bright for you guys- hopefully the national squad will help to raise the profile of "soccer" higher in the states. I have always thought it odd that in loads of films the kids are always playing and you have the whole soccer moms thing but the sport isn't popular with sports fans

Yep, the future certainly looks bright for you guys- hopefully the national squad will help to raise the profile of "soccer" higher in the states. I have always thought it odd that in loads of films the kids are always playing and you have the whole soccer moms thing but the sport isn't popular with sports fans

It's more popular than you would think, the World Cup ratings were ridiculus and broke ESPN streaming records. I would actually say at this point it's probably the 5th most popular sport behind Football, baseball, basketball, and hockey(I imagine soon it'll pass hockey) thanks in large part due to our large latino population. And as for movies that feature kids playing "soccer", well Hollywood types just frigging love it but they love anything European more than America. Will it ever surpass our football? No. But can it become as big as the NBA or Baseball is? Yes, those sports are fading in popularity of late.

Freddy Adu > Lionel Messi.

Who played quarter-back tonight?

And Clint Dempsey>>>>>>>Pele, duh we all know that. But he's not as good as Alexi Lala's hair and beard though from his playing days.

Eli Manning of course, if he can win the Super Bowl he can certainly beat Italy no problem.

And Clint Dempsey>>>>>>>Pele, duh we all know that. But he's not as good as Alexi Lala's hair and beard though from his playing days.

Eli Manning of course, if he can win the Super Bowl he can certainly beat Italy no problem.

Tried watching the Superb Owl. Didn't get it. 4 minutes of play then three hours of time outs. Do they need so many breaks because they're unfit?

Seriously though, the USA fascinates me with soccer. It's so widely played in such a wealthy, sport nation, and yet...well...you're not exactly amazing at it.

I think it's because you treat it too much like a game. It's more than that to European and South American nations.

Tried watching the Superb Owl. Didn't get it. 4 minutes of play then three hours of time outs. Do they need so many breaks because they're unfit?

Seriously though, the USA fascinates me with soccer. It's so widely played in such a wealthy, sport nation, and yet...well...you're not exactly amazing at it.

I think it's because you treat it too much like a game. It's more than that to European and South American nations.

Widely played? Not really it's behind most of our other sports. Sure plenty of people play it but all of our best athletes go into football or basketball because that is the familiar path to riches and success in sports here. Literally it's hard to play unless your a rich kid from the suburbs. Their is very few small towns that actually play it throughout the country(infact I only know of about 5 that play it within 60 miles of my hometown), it's mainly a suburban sport for white kids. That might change soon, but it hasn't yet.

On our football. I mean it's a different sport, but I wouldn't call those guys out of shape. Their are some big freakish athletes in that sport. It's not exactly as easy as Europeans seem to think, I should know since I grew up playing it and I have played a bit of "soccer" in my day.

I suppose we did have a youth league when I was a kid that I played in for a few years. But it's rarely played by anyone above the 6th grade over here in a lot of America. There was a HS age travel team for a year but it lost interest pretty quick. Like I said, all of our best, quickest, and most skilled athletes go to other sports.

Archived