Wenger hints he could quit Arsenal

Day

Arsene Wenger has suggested that this could be his last season at Arsenal.

Wenger, 62, who has two years of his contract left to run, told L'Equipe magazine that he will review his position at the end of the season.

"What is hard is the feeling something is finishing. For me, we're now talking short term, it's obvious," he said.

"But whether it's with me or someone else, it changes nothing. My successor needs foundations on which he can be successful," added the Arsenal manager.

The Frenchman has been in charge of the Gunners since 1996, leading them to three Premier League titles and four FA Cup wins but he has not won a trophy since 2005.

In September, owner Stan Kroenke insisted Wenger's future as Arsenal boss was in his own hands, and that only he could decide when to end his stay there.

When asked whether he would still be in charge at the club next season, former Monaco coach Wenger replied: "We'll look at things at the end of this one."

The Arsenal boss also admitted that losing star players Cesc Fabregas to Barcelona and Samir Nasri to Manchester City in the summer was particularly difficult for him.

"For the first time I lost young players, who were reaching maturity. I suffered. It's painful to lose key men you have invested a lot in," he said.

"[bad results] broke the squad. I often call it 'the season of the last minute'," he said when asked about Arsenal's poor finish to the 2010-11 campaign, which saw the Gunners finish fourth in the Premier League.

Wenger hopes his side can continue their recent improvement and finish 2011 on a high note.

"We'll see in December where we can finish," he said. "It was necessary to reconstruct the squad in a climate where we were lacking confidence. It takes time."

Wenger signed his current contract in August 2010 and it expires in summer 2014. As recently as September, he spoke of staying "another 14 years" at the club.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15804105.stm

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived