Rams to line up for spencer

Day

Derby County will take on Southend United next Tuesday in a benefit match for Spencer Prior - a popular figure at both clubs.

Prior, now 38, began and ended his professional career with the Essex club and enjoyed an 18-month spell at Pride Park in the late 1990s.

Derby will be taking a first-team squad to Roots Hall on Tuesday May 5 (7.45pm) with Prior set to feature for both sides.

The big centre-half currently lives with his family in Sydney, Australia, and is looking forward to returning 'home'.

He said: "I am really looking forward to coming back to England and seeing everybody again.

"I am a Southend boy and I am really proud of my time with the Blues.

"It's great that the game is also against one of my old teams as I also remember my spell at Derby fondly.

"I made many friends there and I feel proud to have been a part of a wonderful side.

"I would like to thank both Steve Tilson and Nigel Clough for agreeing to the game and hopefully we can raise a lot of money for Little Havens, a charity I am very passionate about."

Prior's 18-year professional career saw him play over 600 times in a journey that started and finished at Roots Hall, sandwiching spells with Norwich City, Leicester City, the Rams, Manchester City and Cardiff City.

A percentage of proceeds from the match will benefit Essex-based Little Havens Children's Hospice, which provides respite breaks, symptom control and end-of-life care for youngsters living with serious conditions and who are not expected to reach adulthood.

Tickets are now on sale from the Blues Box Office priced at £10 for adults/seniors/students and £2 for children.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by premierram;13084

He was a good defender and gave 100% everygame no bench warmer tho.

I remember he had a time at the back for us. i agree on the effort he put in, as if he would crawl through a mile of glass to get to the ball sort of player. Maybe i have hazy memory that he wasnt overly involved for us. Maybe im wrong! shock horror ino lol

Very solid defender, definitely a fans favourite where i was sitting! I seem to remember him playing in most games while he was with us, especially that first season.

Anyone remember one of the games against Leicester at Pride Park when were all singing "Spencer Prior thinks your ****"? They HATED it! Good times! :cool:

i remember him was only a youngster myself then he was good from memory and i can remember being very shocked when he got sold i think he went to man city, i think i may go, but my traveliing there and back is blooming easy seeing as i live what 30mins away

Originally posted by vicky-27;13097

I'll give you ya beggar ! no I don't remember him ninja boy

Hazy memories for me. Memories from younger days slowly decreasing due to heavy weekends on the booze lol!

Soon i will only be able to remember iconic players

so soon to forget idiakez

oooohh vickys gonna bite at the one lol!

Archived