Alberto Bueno

Bris Vegas

Did NC play him out of position?

Watching him now as Real Valladolid are taking on Cordoba and he's playing as a lone striker coming deep, sort of like a Messi role..

Anyway, last weekend he scored 2 goals as Valladolid won 3-0.. Now he's looking lively, I'll keep an eye on him and see how he gets on, but he definately seems better in that role..

Part of me thinks that NC didn't get the best out of him, when we was in need of a striker after the departures of Kuqi and Luke Moore he could have done a good job up top on his own coming in short to support our AMs..

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching him now as Real Valladolid are taking on Cordoba and he's playing as a lone striker coming deep, sort of like a Messi role..

Anyway, last weekend he scored 2 goals as Valladolid won 3-0.. Now he's looking lively, I'll keep an eye on him and see how he gets on, but he definately seems better in that role..

Part of me thinks that NC didn't get the best out of him, when we was in need of a striker after the departures of Kuqi and Luke Moore he could have done a good job up top on his own coming in short to support our AMs..

This is an old argument being resurrected. He would not have suited the 4231 formation. He was in the middle of the three being the link to the forward especially after Commons went. He was a good player but the game was too quick and hard for him over here. He got tackled hard early in a game not like he would in Spain and then that is it. The cold weather did not help. Nothing to do with CLough when he first came he was unknown, managers from other teams knew then how to play him and negate him. No secret players like him can be easily intimidated.

Really liked bueno. Was classy.

He was just on a different wavelength. Would of taken a long time to see the best of him. Shame we didn't have him on loan again. Really amazing player in when things are going well.

A couple of luxury players are good to have in any squad. That's all madjeski is at forest really. Not players that look so good in delegation battles though are they?

Unless our tactics, formation and opposition were exactly the same as Real Vallodlid's are now then perhaps we did, but I think we really needed a playmaker in the centre to spread play about.

I also don't think it mattered where you played Bueno at one point - he just couldn't find form in our winter weather or on our winter pitches. Not to mention the fact that at away games the opposition could kick lumps out of him and get away with it, and that shot his confidence.

The reason why Bueno didn't work out wasn't really where we played him, IMO. Maybe it was poor man management, perhaps Nigel didn't tell him he was good enough as often as he should, but I think the reality is that Bueno is not really suited to our game. On a smooth pitch, at Pride Park, against a timid defense, there are few players I've seen that have been such a joy to watch. But with Bueno, it's not like that even half the time, sadly.

When Clough reverted to our defend/take the point mentality last year Bueno got left out a number of times. I dont really buy that he didnt fancy playing away from home, at Donny he was quality, towards the end of the season at Palace, Norwich and Cardiff he was probably our best player going forward. His type of player is always guna have off games, but he's capable of creating something out of nothing. I think his time here was a success, it was almost impossible for him to do much more in such a poor team.

Bagged another 2 tonight.. 4 in 2 games.. Looks far superior in this position now, drags the defenders all over the shop..

He's basically been given the licence to do whatever he wants in the final 3rd, and to go where ever he wants.. he doesn't have a position..

Through no fault of Nigel, I don't know if giving someone this licence in the NPC would work.. But I can see a definate improvement in his play.

The famous number 10 playmaker worn by the likes of Maradona, Messi, Ronaldinho and Requilme doesn't exist in NPC football.. So getting the best out of the likes of Bueno, Commons, Green etc.. can be difficult.. NC did a top job with Commons.

Hope he keeps it up and gets Valladolid promoted, they're a decent outfit and should be playing top flight football.

Archived