Reserves win at Chesterfield

Subman

Good win today by the reserves, well under 18's actually. Won 3 - 2. Two goals, including one peno, from Callum Ball and then 3rd from Adam Wixted.

Captain Steff Galinski played well along with Mr Ball, Alex Witham & Will Hughes.

Kwame Thomas came on for last 15/20 mins and looked lively.

Good turn out of fans from Chesterfield.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the approach the club is taking with the Reserves. They are using it as a stepping stone to develope the youth academy players and testing them against adults. Most of the Pre season reserve and academy matches were against local non league sides.

Ball, Cole, Jones and witham, are still only around 18.

Galinski is the only 2nd year scholar who was involved

6 of the players who started the match with Chesterfield were first year

scholars,

All the subs, except Dylan Hayes( first year scholar) were from the U16's I think.

DERBY COUNTY RESERVES: Etheridge, Jones, Lelan, Galinski (Thomas, 79), Sharpe, Cole, Witham, Dawkins (Hayes, 89), Wixted, Ball, Hughes. Other subs: Pearcey, Thomas, Rawson, Raven

I like the approach the club is taking with the Reserves. They are using it as a stepping stone to develope the youth academy players and testing them against adults. Most of the Pre season reserve and academy matches were against local non league sides.

Ball, Cole, Jones and witham, are still only around 18.

Galinski is the only 2nd year scholar who was involved

6 of the players who started the match with Chesterfield were first year

scholars,

All the subs, except Dylan Hayes( first year scholar) were from the U16's I think.

DERBY COUNTY RESERVES: Etheridge, Jones, Lelan, Galinski (Thomas, 79), Sharpe, Cole, Witham, Dawkins (Hayes, 89), Wixted, Ball, Hughes. Other subs: Pearcey, Thomas, Rawson, Raven

So what competitive games do first team players get, who are not involved in Championship games ?

So you are saying that no clubs play first team players in their reserves ?

No, I'm saying reserve games aren't competitive games. If you don't get league or cup games, you don't get competitive games.

Besides, how many first teamers do we have in the reserves? Leacock and Bywater don't seem to count as humans at the minute anyway and then you've got the rest injured.

No, I'm saying reserve games aren't competitive games. If you don't get league or cup games, you don't get competitive games.

Besides, how many first teamers do we have in the reserves? Leacock and Bywater don't seem to count as humans at the minute anyway and then you've got the rest injured.

So how are players expected to perform well when coming off the bench.

Also it must add greatly to the chance of getting injured, having to up the tempo right away.

So how are players expected to perform well when coming off the bench.

Also it must add greatly to the chance of getting injured, having to up the tempo right away.

Who are these players who aren't getting reserve games anyway?

But I don't get your point. There are no competitive games for players who aren't involved in league games anyway. Sure, maybe we could put them in the reserves, but reserve sides are far better at rehablitating injured players rather than giving some of the squad something to do.

Who are these players who aren't getting reserve games anyway?

But I don't get your point. There are no competitive games for players who aren't involved in league games anyway. Sure, maybe we could put them in the reserves, but reserve sides are far better at rehablitating injured players rather than giving some of the squad something to do.

So then do you believe that a player that has sat on the bench for a few games, and had virtually no game time, and no reserve games should be able to come on and be up to scratch immediately ?

So then do you believe that a player that has sat on the bench for a few games, and had virtually no game time, and no reserve games should be able to come on and be up to scratch immediately ?

Of course not, I'm not stupid. But if a player isn't playing regularly he very rarely does get up to scratch immediately when called upon, reserve games behind him or not. You're only ever match fit if you play regular competitive football, reserve games alone are not enough.

That's why reserve games are probably more important to our youth team and first-year pros than they are to making Pearson, Leacock and Martin ever so slightly less crap if and when we need them.

Of course not, I'm not stupid. But if a player isn't playing regularly he very rarely does get up to scratch immediately when called upon, reserve games behind him or not. You're only ever match fit if you play regular competitive football, reserve games alone are not enough.

That's why reserve games are probably more important to our youth team and first-year pros than they are to making Pearson, Leacock and Martin ever so slightly less crap if and when we need them.

I aint stupid either, there is no substitute for playing games, no amount of training comes close.

Reserve games, behind closed doors whatever, better than training everytime IMHO.

You need games in your legs, and to get your timing and pace up to scratch

I aint stupid either, there is no substitute for playing games, no amount of training comes close.

Reserve games, behind closed doors whatever, better than training everytime IMHO.

You need games in your legs, and to get your timing and pace up to scratch

Better than training, I agree, but not a great deal better. The phrase "left to rot in the reserves" is used for a reason - there is, as you say, no subsitute for playing games but reserve games are not included in that, in my book.

This argument is pointless anyway. Who exactly are supposed to field in these reserve games from our first team? We have about 16 first team players and we need every one of them with our matchday squad. We either put some youth players in our reserve team or we play a reserve game with our usual starting XI, that's the option at present.

Better than training, I agree, but not a great deal better. The phrase "left to rot in the reserves" is used for a reason - there is, as you say, no subsitute for playing games but reserve games are not included in that, in my book.

This argument is pointless anyway. Who exactly are supposed to field in these reserve games from our first team? We have about 16 first team players and we need every one of them with our matchday squad. We either put some youth players in our reserve team or we play a reserve game with our usual starting XI, that's the option at present.

I would say that unused , or little used subs from a Sat game should play as well a convalescing players, so long as the games are mid-week.

Good job we had a very good reserve team in the two First div winning years, and the second div winning one as well :)

Archived