Fan fined over Cardiff missile

Day

A football fan has been fined and given a three-year banning order after admitting to throwing a 'missile' onto the pitch during Cardiff's match against Swansea.

A thrilling Welsh derby at Ninian Park on 5th April finished 2-2 but the match was overshadowed by an incident at the end of the first half when referee Mike Dean was struck in the head by an object thrown from the crowd.

Supporter David Roberts has now pleaded guilty to a charge under the Football Offences Act 1991.

The 24-year-old from Llantrisant Road, Pontypridd, south Wales, has denied throwing a coin, with defending solicitor Vaughan Britton telling a court Roberts had in fact thrown a piece of chewing gum onto the playing area.

Following legal discussion, prosecutor Helen Gambrill agreed for the charge to be amended to 'throwing a missile' rather than 'throwing a coin'.

District Judge Richard Williams fined Roberts £200 and ordered him to pay £60 towards prosecution costs and victim surcharge of £15.

Chewing gum?, must of been a bloody hard piece of chewing gum.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet his solicitor knows that they have no evidence that he threw the actual coin that hit the ref.

I assume he was seen throwing something and said it was chewing gum. The police won't be able to tie him up with the coin incident.

The chewing gum, wouldn't have even stuck in the refs hair! as he's as bold as Elvis!

Ridsdale said after the game that the offender will be banned for life, now its a 3 year ban hmmm.

The thing is do these bans work? will every turnstile operater have his mug shot pinned up and check every fan? and what if he turns up in fancy dress like the banana boys? I'd put money on him going to a Cardiff game before his 3 year ban is up.

Archived