Craig Beattie

thelovebelow

Swansea reject Derby approach for Craig Beattie

Craig Beattie is hoping for a regular first-team place at Swansea

Swansea City have rejected an approach from Derby County to take striker Craig Beattie on loan at Pride Park.

The 27-year-old has scored four goals in 14 appearances for the the Swans this season including the winner in Saturday's 4-3 win at Middlesbrough.

Derby want a striker to help halt their slide down the Championship table.

"There was an approach from Derby last week about the possibility of a loan deal for Craig Beattie," said Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins.

"However, after discussions with the manager, he felt Craig was a vital and integral part of the squad, as proved at Middlesbrough on Saturday."

Beattie joined the Swans in August 2009 from West Bromich Albion in a deal worth up to £800,000 - a new club record at the time.

But he has struggled with injury during his time at the Liberty Stadium and that has not helped the Scotsman's chances of cementing a regular first team place.

Beattie vowed to keep reminding boss Brendan Rodgers that he deserves a shot in the starting line-up after Saturday's injury time winner at the Riverside.

"I've started six games this year after I've come back from injury and scored four goals," he said.

"I give him the eyes every day at training. I'm chomping at the bit, he knows that. All I can do is try and show when I come on that I do well and I've come on and done well and nudged the winner.

"So I can't do any more than I'm doing and the rest is the manager's decision. That's his to make."

It is understood Derby County are now close to tying up a deal to sign Sheffield United striker Jamie Ward on a 93-day emergency loan

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/swansea_city/9398800.stm?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived