Relegation - such a bad thing?

Asanovic

Derby on 34 points after 28 games.

Choice time

play football & hope to win a few ?

Or go defencive & avoid defeat at all costs ?

1 QPR 29 10 4 1 32 10 5 7 2 16 8 30 56

2 Norwich 29 8 3 4 27 21 6 6 2 19 15 10 51

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 Swansea 29 9 3 2 19 5 6 2 7 18 21 11 50

4 Nott'm Forest 27 8 6 0 25 11 5 4 4 13 12 15 49

5 Cardiff 28 8 4 2 26 14 6 2 6 21 21 12 48

6 Leeds 29 7 3 4 29 24 5 7 3 25 23 7 46

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 Watford 27 6 5 3 27 18 6 2 5 26 22 13 43

8 Reading 28 6 6 2 24 14 4 6 4 19 16 13 42

9 Millwall 29 8 3 3 24 12 3 6 6 14 18 8 42

10 Leicester 29 8 4 2 26 15 4 2 9 16 31 -4 42

11 Burnley 28 8 3 3 27 18 2 7 5 14 17 6 40

12 Barnsley 29 8 4 3 22 13 3 3 8 13 27 -5 40

13 Hull 29 5 6 4 13 8 4 6 4 18 24 -1 39

14 Doncaster 27 7 4 3 21 15 3 3 7 20 30 -4 37

15 Coventry 29 6 3 6 19 17 4 3 7 14 19 -3 36

16 Derby 28 6 2 6 26 16 4 2 8 14 25 -1 34

17 Ipswich 27 6 1 6 18 18 4 3 7 14 19 -5 34

18 Middlesbrough 28 6 4 4 20 17 3 2 9 13 19 -3 33

19 Bristol City 29 5 4 6 18 22 3 4 7 13 22 -13 32

20 Portsmouth 28 4 5 4 24 20 4 2 9 14 25 -7 31

21 Crystal Palace 29 6 4 4 16 13 1 3 11 11 35 -21 28

22 Sheff Utd 28 4 2 8 15 24 3 4 7 11 20 -18 27

23 Ssausagehorpe 26 1 3 8 9 21 6 0 8 17 25 -20 24

24 Preston 27 3 3 8 14 22 2 3 8 15 27 -20 21

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Problem is, we can't play football for any sustained period of time because confidence is so low.

That makes it all the more frustrating regarding loaning players. If we got a couple of young, hungry footballers wanting to do well to impress their parent clubs, it might just boost morale and given the current squad some much needed confidence.

Relegation is the worst thing that can happen to a club bar going out of business. It is never a positive. Nothing positive comes from relegation. It's just one step harder to getting to where you want to be. It would put us back at least 3 years.

Relegation would not be a good thing at all.

League One is difficult to get out of. Leeds and Forest didn't get out of it instantly.

Also, regards youth players. Firstly are there enough of them besides O'Brien and Ball who would have a chance? A lot of players in our academy who have been said to be good have ended up failing to make even League Two so we can't predict how these players are going to adapt to League One at such a young age.

Would Green, Brayford, Bailey, Barker, Cywka, Addison and Pearson want to stay if we were relegated? No.

We would be officially buggered if we were relegated so I am very worried at the moment.

I think something needs to change otherwise it's where we are heading.

We are not too good to go down. Were Leeds too good to go down? We Newcastle too good to go down? No team is 'too good to go down'. We stay up because you get enough points, we don't look like picking up a lot of points between now and the end of the season and there is a real danger of us going down. I just hope 3 teams are worse than us.

We are not too good to go down. Were Leeds too good to go down? We Newcastle too good to go down? No team is 'too good to go down'. We stay up because you get enough points, we don't look like picking up a lot of points between now and the end of the season and there is a real danger of us going down. I just hope 3 teams are worse than us.

No they weren't too good to go down as they went down. We are too good to go down, not because we're Derby County and we've been champions of England but because our players are good enough.

it certainly was for us, but it is a horrible horrible experience being in that league.

but it did us good in the long term.

huge clearout of ***** players:mad:

gareth taylor

alan rogers

nicky eaden etc

lowered the wage bill

we brought through local young talent and we are doing pretty good now, same with leeds/man city/norwich.

No they weren't too good to go down as they went down. We are too good to go down, not because we're Derby County and we've been champions of England but because our players are good enough.

Are those the same players that have lost 9 in 12? Surely they're too good to have won 1 and drawn 2 of the last games? No?

it certainly was for us, but it is a horrible horrible experience being in that league.

but it did us good in the long term.

huge clearout of ***** players:mad:

gareth taylor

alan rogers

nicky eaden etc

lowered the wage bill

we brought through local young talent and we are doing pretty good now, same with leeds/man city/norwich.

Lowered the wage bill then went on a massive **** off spree which sees you paying about 8 million more out on wages per annum in contrast to the similar sized club just down the road. It's absolute nonsense. You can lower the wage bill in any league but more often than not it will coincide with squad quality going down. We've lowered ours to a point where squad quality has been maintained (ie. not very good to not very good) because of some of the unbelievable dross we had on high wages. Any more of our bill would be lack of ambition for a club of our size and detrimental for squad quality imo. We don't need to get relegated to reorganise, we said that after we were shamefully kicked out of the prem. What if it goes belly up in league 1 which it could do? Go down another tier and regroup and come back stronger for the sweepstake. Dear me...

The threat of relegation is now very real, and will be even more so if we lose tomorrow against Portsmouth. Any other club in our league position wouldn’t be worrying, but given the lack of investment, and eagerness to sell any player at the first opportunity, we are now left with a threadbare squad that will struggle to survive. Thing is, I’m actually starting to embrace the idea.

If we go down, it will give some of our younger players a chance to come through. I think players like Connor Doyle, Mark O’Brien and Callum Ball could get more first team exposure. Our current situation is stifling the development of players – we’re having to field as experienced a starting eleven as possible to stave off the threat of going down. Starting fresh in League One could see some of these players blossom. Addison aside, we haven’t had a good youth product come through for a long time now, and we won’t while ever we are this mid table/bottom half/bottom three fodder in the Championship. If we’re chasing a game, do you throw on someone with 200 games experience, or an academy product? I'm sick of seeing players like Anderson, Ben Davies etc coming in to the club with only a few years left of their career.

It will also mean we cut the deadwood. Players like Russell Anderson, Stephen Pearson and Lee Croft can be shipped out, and we look to bring in young talented footballers. I imagine Pearson and Anderson are on reasonably handsome wages too. Nigel Clough’s area of expertise is working with lower league players and developing them (John Brayford, James Bailey, Shaun Harrad) into good footballers. He knows the lower reaches well, and could get players that can be moulded. I still think NC will keep his job if we are relegated.

I don’t think the gates will change that much. Looking at 23,000 against Ipswich if we are performing well (ie, top 6), I imagine we would get good gates upward of this. We have one of the strongest fan bases in the UK. We won’t be getting 30,000’s, but it is what it is.

It could bring the feel good factor back. I don’t think we even had it when we went up, winning scrappily by the odd goal, and getting thumped in the Premiership. If we go on a decent run and are winning games, who cares what league we’re in? A win is a win is a win. If (so many if’s) we went down, and back up, I think our gates would be higher than they are now, because the new season in the Championship would be on the back of winning games and getting promoted.

Past record also tells us this is no bad thing. Whilst Leeds spent a few years down there, they rebuilt and are now in the promotion pack. Same with Man City. And Norwich. And, through really, really gritted teeth, same with forest. I know for every one of these stories there is a Charlton, Southampton or even Bradford, but it’s Friday, I’m going to the game tomorrow and I need some optimism in my life.

Thoughts?

Are you Nigel Clough?

• 3 weeks later...

relegation a blessing in disguise?

I dont want us to go down at all,but as it is a possibility its worth considering that a few teams have gone dow to league 1 and come back a lot stronger.Leeds,lester,Norwich,even fo#*st to an extent.

If,and its a big if, relegation meant we got rid of GSE and clough would you take a drop for a season?

Archived