Which of Clough's signings could make us top 6?

inglorious01

Unfair to mention Roberto Martinez really as he already knew many of the players that he signed and the others were already in England/Scotland and well documented.

The other two I agree with, though Burley didn't use those contacts when at Crystal Palace. Perhaps it just differs who they manage to find when at certain clubs?

George Burley was at Palace for around 6 months, he inherited a squad bordering on relegation and had no money to spend.. His job IMO was impossible, they're going down, no matter who is in charge.

At Derby the fact he was willing to look abroad made it more impressive, not to mention his style of football it would have been easier to identify certain players.. Idiakez and Smith were definately his type of players.

English players, even those from the lower leagues with a rep, ie. Le Fondre or Austin are ridiculously overpriced.. I bet there are some cracking players availabale around Europe for much cheaper, it's those with decent scouting systems that get them..

I thought NC was looking at this when he was looking at Danny Bujis.. Who recommended him? And if he has scouts in Holland why havn't they recommended anyone else.

Another manager was Gordon Strachan during his Soton days.. He had a raid on Sweden and brought in around 3 or 4 top quality players for really cheap.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I worked as a scout under the burley rein and it was simon hunt the chief scout who had all the contacts abroad and found idiakez, bisgarrd etc. simon is now at west brom who are also having success in the european market. When bisgarrd signed he was only on 800 pound a week well according to simon and george. Bargain.

I worked as a scout under the burley rein and it was simon hunt the chief scout who had all the contacts abroad and found idiakez, bisgarrd etc. simon is now at west brom who are also having success in the european market. When bisgarrd signed he was only on 800 pound a week well according to simon and george. Bargain.

What credentials do you need to be a scout just out of curiosity? I mean recently NC appointed his brother as a scout because of his knowledge of football from his father etc.. Are all scouts ex-footballers or have connections to footballers? I mean i'm only 22, but living Mexico I can easily point to at least 10 players over here that would be a success in Europe.. Cheap players too.. I mentioned Paulo Barrerra would be a class player before he moved to West Ham where for some reason he isn't played! But I have no credentials whatsoever, so who would believe me?

Also did Simon Hunt follow George Burley to Hearts and Soton? As soon as he left for Hearts he had another raid on Europe and got some quality players, Rudi Skatchel for one was a big hit.. We could have seen such a quality team the following season had he not left.. One that surely would have got promoted.

yes he want to hearts and soton but then they have fell out but I don't know what about. Err you don't need any real qualifications, the person in charge just needs to have to respect your opinion. I pretty much just did match reports on upcoming opposition ie how they set up, set peices and weakness and strengths and lower leagues. I met simon and george through a mate and got to know them, mainly in the broadway. Phil brown soon got rid as he didn't want players from lower leagues as he wanted premiership mentality.

yes he want to hearts and soton but then they have fell out but I don't know what about. Err you don't need any real qualifications, the person in charge just needs to have to respect your opinion. I pretty much just did match reports on upcoming opposition ie how they set up, set peices and weakness and strengths and lower leagues. I met simon and george through a mate and got to know them, mainly in the broadway. Phil brown soon got rid as he didn't want players from lower leagues as he wanted premiership mentality.

Ah ok, thats interesting..

I wonder if Simon Hunt was with George Burley at Ipswich when they were in the PL.. As they had a few cracking foreign players back then too.. Finidi George springs to mind.

If so coupled with the decent players WBA have, it's fair to say he's done a great job over the years..

As for Phil Brown, he was such a bad choice.. With his well known long-ball tactics that he obviously adopted from Big Sam it was never going to work with a squad that played football on the deck.. But then again, thats the sort of appointment you get from a board that is clueless about football.

I will add it wasn't anywhere near as glamorous as it sounds, going to watch places like reading on a sat or notts county on a freezing cold tue night wasn't that much fun. I used ti rate the place on how good the half time food was to keep it interesting. Some even did warm buffets

I will add it wasn't anywhere near as glamorous as it sounds, going to watch places like reading on a sat or notts county on a freezing cold tue night wasn't that much fun. I used ti rate the place on how good the half time food was to keep it interesting. Some even did warm buffets

Haha surely it depends where abouts your are scouting.. I mean, a feezing tuesday night at Notts County doesn't sound like my cup of tea.. However a pleasant evening scouting a 2nd division Greek team in the South of Greece doesn't sound too daunting..

As a scout of the GB era was it Simon Hunts job to give you assignments on which games to check etc or GB? Did we have any scouts searching around Southern or Eastern Europe at the time?

Simon was in charge of pretty much everything scouting wise, he was the only full time scout but george did pick up players like johnno, jeff kenna, osman etc. He loved the pesh deal as we got money and pesh to loan them izale, not warnocks finest hour. We didn't have an actual european scout it was just simon who would normally find out about a player through his massive list of contacts then go and check them out. The board as you will know didn't want to spend a penny

Haha surely it depends where abouts your are scouting.. I mean, a feezing tuesday night at Notts County doesn't sound like my cup of tea.. However a pleasant evening scouting a 2nd division Greek team in the South of Greece doesn't sound too daunting..

As a scout of the GB era was it Simon Hunts job to give you assignments on which games to check etc or GB? Did we have any scouts searching around Southern or Eastern Europe at the time?

Funnily enough, I love those games on a tuesday night. Don't understand why any football fan wouldn't just because of a bit of cold!

Also did Simon Hunt follow George Burley to Hearts and Soton? As soon as he left for Hearts he had another raid on Europe and got some quality players, Rudi Skatchel for one was a big hit.. We could have seen such a quality team the following season had he not left.. One that surely would have got promoted.

his european raid at Hearts wasn't really down to Burley or Hunt, it was more Vladimir Romanov. He basically made all the signings and picked the team, hence Burley leaving so early on

Archived