laptop problem

Dangerous

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds broken to me.

I think you need a separate screen to plug in to it, to see if its a damaged screen. If its not that, it probably is proper broken. Have you got a PC in the house you can borrow, or someone you know where you can take the laptop across to?

Some laptops need you to press some sort of key to throw the output on to the external video output (Function F4 or Function F8 are common - there's often a picture of a screen on the key in the function key colours).

Might need to take it to a shop where they'll be able to tell you exactly what the broken bit is. Without having the kit to test it with you're at a big disadvantage.

Also, you should have some key to press to get into the setup on startup (delete, F10, F11 or F12 usually do it). If you boot it up and randomly hit those keys repeatedly, does it start beeping? If you can get it beeping on startup, its probably working but not displaying what it should be - so the display bit is probably up the spout.

If you can't make it beep, I think its technically what they call sh@gged.

If the processor or memory were duff I'd imagine it would beep at you when you start it up. Duff disk I'd imagine you'd get something on screen. Black screen means its either something wrong with the screen, with the components putting stuff on the screen, or something quite nasty. Not a laptop repair man, so YMMV.

If the processor or memory were duff I'd imagine it would beep at you when you start it up. Duff disk I'd imagine you'd get something on screen. Black screen means its either something wrong with the screen, with the components putting stuff on the screen, or something quite nasty. Not a laptop repair man, so YMMV.

I thought it was a strange repair. Mind you I didn't mind paying £30 as PC World wanted £225.00 without a definite repaired outcome. Still wanted the £225 though.

If it worked, that's the main thing. To be honest its not worth trying to rip someone off for £30. Most people would be happy to pay £30 just for getting it working, no parts included.

I'm sure as an electrician you agree, not worth the effort for £30 white smiley

Archived