Catch 22 Again

Perky1106

Would we rather get promoted this season with a squad that isn't completely ready but with a set of players hungry and eager to stay at Derby.

Or narrowly miss out on promotion, but keep building steadily? The problem is we run the risk of Premiership mitts getting on to our catalyst players; Commons, Cywka, Green and Brayford.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would we rather get promoted this season with a squad that isn't completely ready but with a set of players hungry and eager to stay at Derby.

Or narrowly miss out on promotion, but keep building steadily? The problem is we run the risk of Premiership mitts getting on to our catalyst players; Commons, Cywka, Green and Brayford.

If we tie up Commons on a new deal, it is unlikely we will lose any of the players you name unless a silly offer came in. Other than Green and Commons, the key players all have several years left on their contracts. Savage obviously is due to retire but it wouldn't suprise me if he hung in for another season if we gained promotion.

Do we fans expect too much? I bet that some would call for Clough to be sacked if we were promoted but then struggled in the top flight. We need to be realistic, bag the promotion money bonanza, build steady and accept that if we are relegated is is all part of a long term building exercise like WBA and Birmingham have gone through.

I'm sure we may have covered this already in across 500 threads in the last month :redface:

Yeah but it's nice to talk about the prospect of being in with a shout of promotion rather than just the hypothetical banter that many have engaged in prior to the teams climb into the play off spots.;):)

According to the posters on DerbyMad Commons has pretty much all but gone in Jan.

Someone, so they say, knows Commons agent, so they say, who has openly revealed that Derby aren't being reasonable with the offer. If Commons was staying, so they say, all would be pretty much sorted.

One player down already.

So they say.

;)

According to the posters on DerbyMad Commons has pretty much all but gone in Jan.

Someone, so they say, knows Commons agent, so they say, who has openly revealed that Derby aren't being reasonable with the offer. If Commons was staying, so they say, all would be pretty much sorted.

One player down already.

So they say.

;)

But you have to remember, they called it DCFCMAD for a reason ;)

He's loving it here.

So either it's an agent not playing ball and trying to engineer a transfer or it's an issue on our part of not being able to afford a pay rise.

So reality dawns for football, turnover down (well revenue anyway), in the middle of the worst recession since the 30's (which I'm just a bit too young to remember), contract negotiations rumoured to not be yielding what KC's agent allegedly wishes for; I know let's say he's off in Jan, that's sure to get a result;)

Keep building steady - we are not ready to go up yet.

Couldn't face another humiliation like that again.

I'd take another humiliation and £60M. If we the fans don't want promotion how can we expect the players to perform week in week out. They should want and believe they can get 3 points every game, simple as that. If they can do that, the rest of it will take care of itself. Positive mental attitude.

Imagine we got promoted. Give Nige 20M of PL money and I think we'd see some miracles happen.

That said I don't want to see 20M we haven't got, spent in Jan. Steady as she goes. If promotion comes it comes. Better than worries about finishing 24th, loving it!

Just some news to add from the golf club. Commons overheard in the bar, having taken a phone call, discussing being miles apart on the wages he was being offered.

I really don't want him to go and I am dismayed at what can only be bad news but reflects the economic reality that football must face up to.:frown:

Archived