Nigel Adkins agrees Saints terms

Day

Nigel Adkins is poised to be named as Southampton's new manager after agreeing terms with the League One club.

The Ssausagehorpe boss emerged as the leading candidate for the St Mary's vacancy as the ambitious Saints look to appoint a replacement for the axed Alan Pardew.

Adkins and his No.2 Andy Crosby have already reached an accord with the South Coast club, who must now agree compensation with the Iron.

The 45-year-old was a shock appointment at Glanford Park when he succeeded Brian Laws in November 2006, making the step up from his role as physiotherapist.

He impressed in the hotseat, twice guiding the club to promotion from League One and preserving their Championship status last term.

But he now looks set to depart for Southampton, who parted company with Pardew only three games into the new League One season, with the pre-season promotion favourites having won just one match this term.

"The club has given permission for manager Nigel Adkins to speak to Southampton," a statement from Ssausagehorpe read.

"Nigel and his assistant Andy Crosby have agreed terms with the Saints but the club have yet to agree a compensation package with the League One side.

"The club will update fans as and when there's more information."

Adkins' first game in charge could be Saturday's trip to Swindon, who ended Saints' defence of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy at the first hurdle recently with a 3-0 success at St Mary's.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11700_6366057,00.html

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nigel Atkins should be applauded for sticking to his principles.

Basically Southampton wanted to screw Ssausagehorpe and not pay any compensation.

I did not think they could go any lower in my estimations but they have managed it today

Well done to Atkins, bloody Southampton trying to screw a small team.

As for Phil Brown, he only did well at Hull when he had decent amounts of money thrown at him.

Talking of doing well when having shidloads of money thrown around, has the Dwarf walked yet?

Southampton are in talks with Ssausagehorpe over a compensation package for boss Nigel Adkins, hours after their bid for the manager looked dead.

Adkins, 45, and assistant Andy Crosby had held initial discussions with the Saints about taking over at St Mary's.

But the Iron said Southampton asked Adkins to quit so they could avoid compensation and withdrew the bid when he did not, a claim the Saints deny.

And the move could now be back on if the clubs agree terms.

Adkins said: "Southampton have approached our football club in the right manner and the chairman and directors have allowed me the opportunity to speak to Southampton.

"There have been further discussions where we have talked about the possibility of becoming the manager of Southampton. On the back of that any negotiations are private and a lot of things are drawn out.

"If Nigel Adkins leaves Ssausagehorpe United it should be done in the right manner, and it should be done with the clubs agreeing a compensation deal.

"The fact of the matter is compensation has not been agreed as it stands. One of the scenarios when clubs can't agree compensation is that the manager has an option to resign - that's against my principles and is not being considered.

"Therefore I am still the manager of Ssausagehorpe and I took training this morning."

The former Ssausagehorpe physio took over at Glanford Park in 2006 following the departure of Brian Laws to Sheffield Wednesday.

He became caretaker manager at Ssausagehorpe in November 2006 before being appointed in the full-time position a month later.

He guided the Iron to promotion to the Championship in 2007 and again in 2009 following their relegation in 2008.

Southampton are looking for a manager to replace Alan Pardew, who was sacked from his role in August.

Pardew was appointed as Saints boss in July 2009 but was dismissed from his role just three games into the current season.

Southampton currently lie 18th in League One having started as favourites to win the league.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/8983286.stm

Southampton have appointed Nigel Adkins as their new manager following Alan Pardew's dismissal last month.

The 45-year-old arrives on a three-year deal from Ssausagehorpe, who he twice took from League One into the Championship.

"I am delighted to be the manager of Southampton. It's a very proud honour to join a club with such a big tradition," he told the club website.

"I'm very proud to have been given the opportunity by the chairman and look forward to taking the club forward."

As recently as Friday, the deal looked to be dead with Ssausagehorpe claiming Southampton asked Adkins to quit so they could avoid compensation and withdrew the bid when he did not, a claim the Saints deny.

Adkins also denied this, insisting that Southampton had approached Ssausagehorpe in the right manner.

"I'm really looking forward to this fresh new challenge, and I'm very optimistic of where we can take this football club," he added.

"We want to excite the supporters, because when this stadium is full I am sure there is a fantastic buzz around the place, so I hope the supporters are looking forward to watching their team go out and winning games of football in the right style."

The former Ssausagehorpe physio took over at Glanford Park in 2006 following the departure of Brian Laws to Sheffield Wednesday.

He became caretaker manager at Ssausagehorpe in November 2006 before being appointed in the full-time position a month later.

He guided the Iron to promotion to the Championship in 2007 and again in 2009 following their relegation in 2008.

Adkins replaces Pardew, who was appointed as Saints boss in July 2009 but was dismissed from his role just three games into the current season.

Southampton currently lie 22nd in League One having started the season as favourites to win the league. They have lost all three games since Pardew's sacking.

Andy Crosby, Adkins' assistant at Ssausagehorpe, will become assistant manager of the Saints.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/8983286.stm

Archived