Burton Albion v Derby County

Day

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Losing key players to injury in friendlies must also damage morale, I know we have to play them and the players need it, but I can't wait for the start of the season and hopefully having a full squad to choose from.

YOUNG defender Mark O'Brien is set to play a part in Derby County's opening pre-season friendly against Burton Albion tomorrow eight months after he underwent heart surgery.

The 17-year-old could be handed 45 minutes against the Brewers at the Pirelli Stadium (3pm).

O'Brien had an operation to repair a faulty valve in his heart late last year and made a brief return to action in April for the Rams' under-18 side and then as a substitute for the reserves.

Derby say they are still being careful with the highly-rated centre-back, who is a Republic of Ireland youth international, was named Derby's Academy player of the year in 2008-9 and made his first-team debut at Watford on the final day of that season, at the age of 16.

"Mark is going well and we should see him at Burton," said manager Nigel Clough.

"We've still got to be careful with him but he feels great and we will get him involved with the first team as soon as we think it is appropriate.

"We'll take it steady but having seen him in the last 18 months, character-wise and everything, he is strong enough to handle it and come back without any problems and without any doubts.

"We're looking forward to seeing how Mark goes this season.

"With Shaun Barker and Jake Buxton out initially, and Miles Addison out, Mark is our third-choice centre-back at the moment."

O'Brien is hoping to catch the eye this season as he continues his comeback.

"My first aim is to get back into the under-18s and if I do well there, get into the reserves," he said.

"Then, if I do well there, I can hopefully give the manager something to think about."

The friendlies come thick and fast for Derby.

After facing Burton, they take on Southend United at Roots Hall on Monday, Bournemouth at Dean Court Wednesday and Chesterfield at their new B2net Stadium on Saturday, July 24.

They then have two home games against Stoke City on Tuesday, July 27, and Birmingham City on Saturday, July 31.

The Derby players are likely to be given 45 minutes each against Burton and Southend.

Clough might also take another look at Dean Moxey in the centre-back role in the friendlies.

The left-back played there for the reserves last season.

Moxey will battle it out with new signing Gareth Roberts for the left-back position this season. Roberts has joined the Rams on a Bosman free transfer from Doncaster Rovers.

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/sport/Mark-role-Rams-Albion-opener/article-2421879-detail/article.html

Archived