Bobby Davison for Swansea

derbydan

FORMER Derby County striker Bobby Davison has applied for the vacant manager's job at Swansea City.

Davison is looking for a return to management or coaching after a successful stint with Ferencvaros, one of the great names of Hungarian football.

He revived the fortunes of the fallen giants and guided them back into the top flight after a three-year absence.

The 50-year-old, who has his Pro Licence, left in November after being in charge for 18 months.

Swansea are on the lookout for a manager after Paulo Sousa left his position by mutual consent earlier this week.

Sousa took the Welsh club to the brink of the Championship play-offs last season.

"Swansea have everything in place to be a successful club. The stadium, the fans, the squad of players – they can continue to progress with these things in place," said Davison, who confirmed he has applied for the job.

He added: "I saw quite a bit of them last season as I was working for Paul Hart at Crystal Palace.

"He wanted me to get information on their opponents, which meant I saw a lot of Championship games and Swansea were very impressive. They caught my eye.

"I am proud of the job I did at Ferencvaros because we won promotion in what turned out to be my only full season in charge.

"I feel the experience has been a real benefit to me and I want to get back into the game as quickly as possible."

Davison was a hugely popular player with the Derby fans and he scored 106 goals in 249 games for the club.

His goals helped the Rams to win successive promotions in the 1980s.

He went on to play for Leeds United, Sheffield United, Leicester City, Rotherham United and Hull City after leaving Derby.

Davison has also been player-coach and manager of Guiseley, and assistant manager at Bradford City.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived