Rams Trio Praised By Coaching Staff

Day

Kris Commons, Steven Davies and Dean Leacock have received praise from the Rams coaching staff, after the trio returned early from their holidays to start training.

The first team report are due back at Moor Farm on July 1st, but a number of stars have opted to begin their fitness campaign ahead of schedule.

Commons, Davies and Leacock are working with strength and conditioning coach Steve Haines on a daily basis, with all three players hoping to put behind them a year of injury woes.

Also back at Moor Farm is Rams coach Andy Garner.

He says the boys attitude is spot on: "I can't praise them highly enough for the way they have come back and knuckled down.

"It's not something we have told them to do; it is their decision.

"All the players were given programmes and fitness targets to achieve ahead of reporting back at the start of July, but these guys have chosen to return early and work here with our staff.

"To be fair, all three of them look is great shape.

"Steven Davies has been back training for a while and he looks in magnificent condition.

"There's no doubting that Kris, Steven and Dean are big players for us and if fit will undoubtedly be central to our plans.

"Last year they had injury problems and they couldn't get a consistent run in the side; that will have been as frustrating to them as it was us and the supporters.

"Having worked with these lads for over 18 months we know how good they are and how desperate they are to play and do well for Derby County.

"By returning early and putting in the hours on the training field and in the gym they are certainly doing all the right things."

Although times have changed in football Garner also says that the same principles apply to his playing days.

The former Rams striker says even in his day they had to return in a relatively decent shape.

Garner continues: "I played for Arthur Cox and there was no way you could risk coming back heavy for his sessions.

"Of course we enjoyed our holidays, but you knew what was waiting for you when you got back and unless you has a screw loose then you made sure you were fit enough to do the running.

"We did all the local parks, such as Allestree and Darley and those runs were tough.

"The Gaffer (Nigel Clough) is very similar in that respect; we believe it's important to get the lads out and about and running hard in the first few weeks.

"At least our boys will know what to expect this time, after last year's pre season."

Rams coach Andy Garner was speaking exclusively to dcfc.co.uk

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10270~2072940,00.html

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if he can play 50% of the games this season then i might just change my opinion of the fat lazy useless scottish injury prone spastic.:p

He started 30 league games out of 46 in his first season, by my reckoning thats more than 50%.

Ok he had injury problems last season but in his 2 seasons at Derby he has started 41 league games and made 13 sub appearances, that means he has been involved in 54 games out of a possible 92, by my reckoning thats more than 50%.

The only way you will change your opinion is if we can rewrite history, he never played for Forest or Scotland and I'm sure you would be fine about him.

We've done that stats thing before and I have shown that he is not the most injury prone player at the club, but hey ho like I say we'd have to rewrite history for you init blad?

Why how much do you think Commons weighs? according to the OS he's 9st 8lbs and for 5ft 6" thats an ideal weight.

http://www.food.gov.uk/images/pagefurniture/hwchart18jun09small

I think he's just got weak hamstrings to be honest but there you go. Michael Owen has the same problem but I guess he has a weight problem aswell, or he doesn't warm up properly, or lazy and any other insult we can think of.

For Forest the 3 seasons prior to joining us he managed

07/08 - 29 League Starts, 10 Sub appearances

06/07 - 30 League Starts, 4 Sub appearances

05/06 - 36 League Starts, 1 Sub appearance

Out of a possible 46 which is pretty crap when you consider the whole of the Forest squad played the maximum 46 games.

To sum up in the last 5 seasons Commons has been involved in 164 games out of a possible 230, thats 71%. You also have to take into account that he may have been an unused substitute for a number of games.

Why have Real Madrid screwed Michael Owen? I don't know the Madrid medical team personally although I would hazard a guess they know a thing or two about helping players recover from injury, probably a tad bit more than you and me.

Some players just have weak areas in there bodies and they might not be able to play 100% of the games in a season, the games they do play in they make a hell of a difference. Even after Michael Owens injury track record the greatest manager ever still signed him, why do you think that is?

Because they have these problems should they just quit football and go work in a fish factory?

As you have seen from Commons stats he has played 70% of games in the last 5 years, I bet my left testicle we have players at this club who havent come close to that figure.

It's easy to sit an type that Commons is fat, Commons is lazy, Commons doesn't train properly, Commons doesn't warm up properly, Commons doesn't give a **** about Derby but do you know what it's all utter crap.

Archived