Savage aims to play on with Rams after a change of heart

Day

ROBBIE Savage says he wants to carry on playing beyond the end of next season.

The veteran midfielder is entering the final year of his current contract with Derby County and had previously stated his intention to hang up his boots at that point.

But he has now had a change of heart and is hoping to earn a new deal with the Rams.

Savage will be 36 in October but was one of Derby's most consistent performers last season.

He featured in all 46 League games and was named player of the year at the club's annual awards evening.

The former Wales international also came a close second to defender Shaun Barker in the fans' vote for the Jack Stamps trophy.

Savage feels that if he can recreate that sort of form in the 2010-11 campaign, there is no reason why he cannot extend his stay at Pride Park.

"First and foremost, my main aim is to earn another contract at Derby," said the Rams skipper.

"So, in some ways, next season is the biggest of my career, because if I don't perform, I won't be offered a new contract.

"If I can perform like I did last season, that will be great – and then who knows what will happen?

"If I feel I can still do it, I would love to stay at Derby but if I am feeling tired at the end of the season, I would seriously consider calling it a day.

"However, I'm not ready to give up my number eight shirt just yet.

"If the club offers me a new deal and I feel I can still offer something, I will take it."

Savage revealed he had taken advice from a number of fellow professionals – and ex-pros – who had all urged him to continue playing.

"I have spoken to a lot of people – like Mark Hughes, Steve Bruce, Bryan Robson, Gary Speed – and they have all told me to keep playing as long as I can," he said.

"I also spoke to (Derby's long-serving kit man) Gordon Guthrie about it. He said I was the club's best player last season and if you are good enough, you will get in the team, no matter how old you are.

"He used Dave Mackay as an example but added that I'm not as good as he was!"

Savage is already laying the foundations for a career in the media when he finishes playing – he was unveiled as co-presenter of BBC Radio 5 Live's 606 football phone-in show this week – but the former Crewe, Leicester, Birmingham and Blackburn man is also keen on becoming a coach.

"You've got to prepare for the future and I'm not ruling out some kind of coaching role," he added.

"I've done some of my badges and maybe they will offer me something at Derby. Who knows?"

For the time being, Savage hopes he can give a helping hand to young midfielder James Bailey, who has joined the Rams from Crewe.

Bailey has been tipped as a long-term replacement for Savage, who said: "Hopefully, I can pass on some of my experience to him.

"He is young and raw and hasn't played in the Championship before but that doesn't matter if you are good enough."

http://www.therams.co.uk/news/Savage-aims-play-Rams/article-2292756-detail/article.html

---------------------------------------------------------------

No comment!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Savage must not have got that TV job.

To be fair to Savage there are some valid reasons for keeping him at Derby. But I do really think he's a bit too slow for the CCC these days. He has said himself he needs to play every week to keep his form & fitness up. So If he picks up an injury i don't think he will find it easy to get back. Do derby want to pay his wages while he sits on the side lines ?

I will have to side with Daveo & say that you need a young hungry & much faster midfielder in the team if you want to break into the top 6. Savage will do a job but i think you can get much better for less wages.

Who voted for him to be POTY? Come on, own up. He's fecking useless, it was clearly Barker. Id've voted for Deeney before him. It's about time some of our fans realised he cares jack about the club and is only looking to further his media career by staying at a club of our stature

Sav is a clever guy.He knows he is at the twilight of his playing career,thus getting a job on 606.Clough is proving his weaknesses.Any decent boss would let sav go or give him a coaching job.Dont blame Sav,blame our spineless manager.

You never know whats in savage's contract. Maybe nigel has no options. It's better to have savage available to play if Derby would have to pay off his contract if he went. ( jewell would have got rid of him if it was possible.)

From an outside point of veiw I think Clough will be able to rebuild Derby, He has not been given shed loads of cash to play with & having to get rid of players on big wages does not help, but i am sure he will get it right. It really depends on how much time the fans give him. Have you any doubt that Clough would have you firing if he was given several mil to spend ?

Good post Fever.

But Sav split his last year ( the last season ) over 2 seasons. So next year he will play/feature for free next season if you like.

He actually only got half pay last year, and the other half this. That would have helped Derby with cash flow.

As much as some hate him, he loves the game, loves the wind up, I love the wind up so he can do no wrong in my book.

Well done Sav.

(I did hate him when he wasn't playing at our club though.)

Archived