Football League clubs adopt 'home-grown' rule

Day

England's Football League clubs have agreed new rules on the number of "home-grown" players in their squads.

From next season, clubs will have to name 10 "home-grown" players in a squad restricted to 25 players aged over 21.

To qualify, players must be registered in domestic football for three seasons before turning 21.

However, a proposal by Leyton Orient to relegate clubs two divisions for going into administration was rejected at the League's Annual General Meeting.

But following the meeting of the 72 clubs in Malta, League chiefs will review the punishments for administration to see if they need toughening up.

Other rule changes include clubs, who will be able to include as many players under the age of 21 in their squads as they like, being hit with a transfer embargo if they do not file their financial accounts at Companies House in time.

The League's fit and proper persons' test has also been retitled the "Director's Test" to fall in line with the other football bodies.

And a loophole has been closed so that clubs that go into administration are hit with sporting sanctions even when the club is part of a group company.

Football League chairman Greg Clarke said: "This has been a positive and constructive meeting at which we've looked at many of the important issues currently facing football and taken steps to address a number of the most pressing governance concerns."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8729294.stm

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our current squad size is 27

- 9 players that are under 21 = 18

- Connolly who looks set to join Leeds = 17

We have agreed to sign Roberts, Cywka, Brayford, Bailey and Martin = 22

Currently unless we sell more we can sign just 3 more players over the age of 21, we will have 22 home grown players so we're fine and dandy with that.

Finally if your interested Forest have the same numbers with 25 players and 3 players under 21, meaning they can sign just 3 players that are over 21 without selling anyone.

Carol Vorderman eat your heart out!

Forest can have another 3. That will do. Whittingham, Shorey & Pratley would do for me.

Maybe Savage will retire & allow Nigel some room !

I thought Hulse & Green were going ?

( I hope Hulse goes I hate him playing against Forest )

Archived