Savage lands himself a new job

Day

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derby County midfielder Robbie Savage is to be the new co-host of BBC Radio 5 live's Saturday evening football phone-in show 606 next season.

The 35-year-old ex-Wales international will co-present with Mark Chapman, fresh from the pitch after playing for the Rams in the Championship.

"It's an honour and a privilege to be presenting the show," said Savage.

"I'll be edgy but fair and I'll definitely have opinions. I'm delighted to have this opportunity."

Savage added: "One of my most special memories is listening to 606 driving back from Bournemouth nearly 20 years ago in my Dad's brown Cortina after I'd scored for Crewe."

Earlier this year, Savage was involved in a number of infamous radio incidents.

In January 2010, while providing expert summary on the Premier League game between Aston Villa and West Ham at Villa Park, a clearance by home midfielder Stiliyan Petrov hit Savage in the face.

In the same month, during an interview with BBC Radio Derby's Colin Gibson, Savage reacted furiously to rumours the County players believed the club's backroom staff were not up to the task of running the side, something Gibson had brought up during a phone-in three days earlier.

The new-look line-up for 606 is one of a number of changes to 5 live's weekend schedule.

The iconic Sports Report, a broadcasting staple for over 50 years, with one of the most memorable theme tunes in radio, returns to a regular full hour from 1700 until 1800 within 5 live Sport.

And on Sundays, Alan Green will present the Sunday night edition of 606, starting at 1800.

BBC Radio 5 live controller Adrian Van Klaveren said: "I think this really boosts our weekend schedule. It's great to restore the much loved Sports Report to its full hour and I'm excited about the perspective Robbie Savage can bring to presenting 606 straight from the pitch on a Saturday."

Savage began his playing career in the Manchester United youth set-up but left the club without making a first-team appearance to join Crewe in 1994.

He has since played for Leicester, Birmingham, Blackburn and Derby, and had a brief spell on loan at Brighton.

He retired from international football in 2005, having won 39 caps for Wales.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8728719.stm

Lap it up my arse, the guy as Cumbrian quite rightly put it is a "media whore". Why can't he just wait until after he's retired? it's only a sodding year away for gods sake.

How's it going to help the team spirit when the captain has to **** off straight after every game to be on the radio, and how the hell can he comment on the days games when he's been playing himself?

The guys a tit...correction, the guy is a pair of tits, a huge pair with great big pointy out nipples that you can hang your coat on.

Archived