Where would this Rams team finish in the league?

StarterForTen

I'll start with an apology... I may well have some of my contract date facts wrong, but I haven't got time to research properly!

After the cIosing of the transfer window, I was thinking this morning about what team could we GUARANTEE being able to put out next August assuming that we sell or sign no-one else, all out of contract players in the summer leave and those currently out on loan don't come back - but all current injured players (that aren't out of contract) are fit and available.

I think I get to something like this...

Carson in goal

Back four of Bogle, Keogh, Davies and Forsyth

Holding midfielder of Evans

Attacking midfielders of Lawrence and Holmes

Front three of Waghorn, Marriott and Jozefzoon/Bennett

That's not a bad starting point in my opinion... as long as we are confident of winning most games 4-3!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not bad, certainly. It wouldn't be in any kind of relegation trouble.

Carson in goal is obviously fine, and (following your rules) Mitchell is a perfectly capable backup.

Bear in mind you'd have Wisdom, Davies, Lowe and Malone as defensive cover (I'd start Malone over Forsyth, personally)

I disagree with your midfield, though. Evans as the holding midfielder is sensible (with a resurgent Thorne providing competition!), but I don't think Lawrence fits into a midfield 3 like that. I don't really know enough about our youth to make a proper judgment, but I'd say we'd probably want someone more like Elsnik in there alongside Holmes. The lack of cover for those areas would be a concern, though. Sibley? Mitchell-Lawson? That would be place to get reinforcements in.

Front 3 of Waghorn, Marriott and Lawrence seems the obvious decision, here, with Josefzoon and Bennett as backup, and Martin as a plan B (might as well use him if we're still in the Championship).

BUT, there's another option.

Switch to 4-2-3-1.

Same back 5, but with Evans and Thorne/Bird as holding midfielders, then put Josefzoon/Bennett on the right and Lawrence on the left, with Waghorn and Marriott moving between the two "central" positions of striker and "just off the striker".

... I've just described a 4-4-2, basically, but not in name.

Archived