What makes a runaway team

DJFern94

Let me preface this with the fact I am a fan of Lampard and what he is doing at the club. But I have been having a think about the "runaway teams" of the last few seasons in the championship and one thing has stood out to me. Not really the quality of the players, but the quality of the managers the teams have had. 

Newcastle had Rafa Benitz, Wolves had Nuno Santo, and Leeds (while not currently running away with it) have Bielsa. 

I do wonder if we had a manager of that ilk, would they transform the players we currently have into the hard working and frankly, Premier league looking teams that the runaway teams of the past few seasons have been. 

I trust in Frank and his staff 100%, as has been mentioned 1000 times before, we are a team in transition. Just wondering if we did have a manager like those come in, would they transform our current players. 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think so.

Newcastle kept hold of most of their PL squad, and added to it well.

Wolves brought in some properly insane signings for this level.

Bielsa you have a case for, as that Leeds squad is largely the same as last year's, but as you say, they're not running away with it. They've played us off the park twice but they've also put in plenty of donkey performances. 

A lot of our squad are not good enough, or not consistent enough, to ever be key cogs in a team that "runs away" with the Championship. A wizard of a manager is not going to change that. 

I think all the players we've brought in (with maybe the exception of Jozefzoon who's not shown much yet) are a step in the right direction, and its simply going to take time.

4 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I don't think so.

Newcastle kept hold of most of their PL squad, and added to it well.

Wolves brought in some properly insane signings for this level.

Bielsa you have a case for, as that Leeds squad is largely the same as last year's, but as you say, they're not running away with it. They've played us off the park twice but they've also put in plenty of donkey performances. 

A lot of our squad are not good enough, or not consistent enough, to ever be key cogs in a team that "runs away" with the Championship. A wizard of a manager is not going to change that. 

I think all the players we've brought in (with maybe the exception of Jozefzoon who's not shown much yet) are a step in the right direction, and its simply going to take time.

To be honest Waghorn and Evans haven't been too inspiring either , I was expecting a lot more from Waghorn after the great season he had last year. Malone isn't too great either, it seems like we have about 6 fullbacks at the club and not one of them can perform at a consistent level that is anywhere near good enough for a promotion team.

1 minute ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

To be honest Waghorn and Evans haven't been too inspiring either , I was expecting a lot more from Waghorn after the great season he had last year. Malone isn't too great either, it seems like we have about 6 fullbacks at the club and not one of them can perform at a consistent level that is anywhere near good enough for a promotion team.

I quite like Waghorn and Malone. But I completely forgot about Evans, which probably proves your point there ? 

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I quite like Waghorn and Malone. But I completely forgot about Evans, which probably proves your point there ? 

I don't mind Waghorn , I just think he isn't a winger and should play upfront either next to Marriott or as an impact sub. Malone has had his good moments, such as against West Brom where he was outstanding but he has looked a bit shaky defensively.

Archived