Billy Davies is living in cloud-cuckoo-land

bakeri666

If, as seems almost certain, Newcastle United secure promotion at home to Sheffield United this evening, the conventional wisdom states that the real hard work starts here.

Billy Davies, the Nottingham Forest manager, suggested as much last week when he said that, to survive in the Barclays Premier League, Newcastle would need to spend £40 million on new players this summer and perhaps another £20 million to freshen things up when the transfer window reopens in January.

Davies is living in cloud-cuckoo-land  a thought that has no doubt crossed the minds of the Forest board members as they prepare for the eventuality that their club also gain promotion. He is talking from his own grim experience after Derby County were promoted in 2007  and, after minimal investment in the squad, were swiftly relegated with a cringe-worthy total of 11 points  but, in Steve Harper, José Enrique, Kevin Nolan, Danny Guthrie, Jonás Gutiérrez and others, perhaps including Andy Carroll, Newcastle have the nucleus of a Premier League team to build around.

There is indeed hard work ahead on Tyneside, but the pleasing thing is that, under the quiet stewardship of Chris Hughton, there appears to be an appetite for it. And hard work, in this case, will involve spending time trying to identify the right kind of players  rather than the kind of scattergun approach that has served Newcastle so calamitously in recent years, whether it is in signing questionable characters, fading stars who are past their best or obscure overseas imports, seen only on YouTube, to do "a favour" to an agent.

If Newcastle are to get it right, it will be by investing sensibly, not by attempting to recreate the spirit of their more extravagant recent past. There are some decent Premier League players to be picked up from Hull City, whether they stay up or not, and perhaps West Ham United, too. All will depend on Newcastle’s needs, but the success of Birmingham City and Wolverhampton Wanderers this season and Stoke City last campaign has shown that clubs can thrive by adding prudently to promotion-winning teams.

All have spent money, but never in the interests of making the kind of "statement" signing often favoured by Newcastle in the past.

With West Bromwich Albion looking nailed on for the second automatic promotion place, it takes us back to the City Ground. If Davies believes Newcastle need to spend £60 million to survive, what must he feel about Forest’s requirements if they get through the play-offs? Forest have spent long enough outside the Premier League to want to maximise their chances of getting and staying there. But, in these straitened times, wild spending looks like a recipe for disaster.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/2010/04/billy-davies-is-living-in-cloudcuckooland-.html

Wait... i'm supposed to do the defending bit aren't i?? sorry... erm... pretend Dave posted this or something

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why didn't the reporter ask Billy how much Forest would need to spend to survive in the Premiership? Hopefully that question will be asked tonight on national TV.

The bloke is clueless, surely Forest fans are starting to realise this now?......Bakeri?

Bakers Lad, it's ok to hate Billy. It's only natural.

He is what he is, a great motivator, but a total cnut.

He doesn't wind me up Homest, Grrrrrr.

I'm one of them Derby Fans who send him letters wishing him all the best.

Lord Lucan is another one.

due to a legally binding contract I am unable to comment, Plus... you never know who's watching...

what i will say is....

Billy Davies has achieved some impressive things for both our clubs and his Championship Management credentials should be respected

I'm bookmarking that, I double dare you to stand up to your leader if he starts with the historic crap. I want the question asked that if Newcastle need to spend £60m how much do Forest need to spend to survive.

So Newcastle United that have walked this Championship this year with Players like Harper, Taylor, Jose Enrique, Nolan, Gonzalez need to spend £60m to survive in the Premiership.

Forest that Billy should get an OBE for if they get promoted with his weak squad, "square pegs, round holes", moaning about missing out on players all season need to spend £20m to survive?

Something doesn't add up for me.

in other words if florist do go up and then straight back down again quicker than a s.african prossies knickers in the world cup and the board don't give him £60m its not his fault as newcastle also need to spend that much

Nice comparison.

Archived