Fabregas played with broken leg

Day

Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas fears his season may be over after suffering a suspected broken leg in Wednesday's 2-2 Champions League draw with Barcelona.

"I fear the worst, which is that I have broken something," said the midfielder, who limped off after his late penalty.

"It is the fibula. I think I put my leg between [Carles] Puyol's when I was fouled, and kicked it.

"When I took the penalty, I was quite strong, but after when I went to get the ball, I could not walk any more."

Fabregas, who was a doubt before the quarter-final first leg with severe bruising to his knee and leg, was only declared fit to play after the final warm-up.

He was visibly pained after lashing in the equalising spot-kick five minutes from time and left the Emirates on crutches.

The Spaniard, who is suspended for the return leg in Barcelona after picking up a second booking of the competition, will have a scan on Thursday which may also have repercussions for his World Cup hopes.

"We have to wait, but I hope I can wear the Arsenal shirt again this season," he added.

"I do not think it is going to be good news, but still I hope there will be."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/8598122.stm

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived