Gary Johnson has left Bristol City by mutual consent

Day

Bristol City manager Gary Johnson has left his position at the Championship club by mutual consent.

Assistant manager Keith Millen will take temporary charge at Ashton Gate.

Chairman Steve Lansdown said: "I would like to place on record my thanks to Gary for the fantastic work he has done over four and a half years.

"Results haven't gone as well as everyone would have liked this season and it's been mutually agreed that now is the right time to make a change."

Johnson told the club website: "I'd like to thank the chairman for his continual support throughout the last four and a half years and congratulate him on taking the club to the level it currently enjoys.

"I thank the majority of the club's fans for their tremendous support during my time with the club.

"I thank the players and staff for their continued efforts in getting this club from what was a position at the bottom of League One when I joined, to promotion to the Championship, to the play-off final for a place in the Premier League and then to compete in the Championship thereafter.

"I leave Bristol City FC with fond memories but feel the time is right to move on to a new challenge."

Johnson, 54, arrived at Ashton Gate in September 2005 having enjoyed unprecedented success with Yeovil Town.

In four years he led the Glovers from the Football Conference to League One as well as FA Trophy success.

The former Latvia manager then took City up to the Championship in his first full season in charge having finished second in the promotion race.

Bristol City's success continued as his side were just 90 minutes away from Premier League football before losing out to Hull in the 2008 play-off final at Wembley.

Since them Johnson has struggled to match his early success with the club finishing in 10th place last season, 13 points off the play-off spots.

City now find themselves 15th in the Championship just seven points off the relegation zone having won just two of their last 12 games.

Assistant manager Keith Millen will take charge for the visit of league leaders Newcastle on Saturday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/bristol_city/8573494.stm

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived