Derby County v Birmingham City

Day

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i genuinly think we can beat them

there league form has been impressive, but i think they could just be heading for a spell of bad games as our form looks to be improving

from memory we were unlucky to get beat by them last year, and i think some of our lot, ie commons, pearson will be looking to show they can perform against prem opposition, and with bywater in his greatest bit of form in a derby shirt, i think we really really could do them

i dont envisage a spectacle of footballing brilliance but a steady 2-1 win for us would be lovely, i just thnk our boys will want it that tiny bit more than them

We need to make loads of noise tommorrow - so get singing -

McLeish believes Savage will be doubly determined to do well against Blues if he is wound up by the taunts of their 5,500 travelling fans.

But he also knows Savage is capable of winding up the opposition and wants his players to keep their discipline as they strive to reach the quarter-finals.

McLeish said: "I like Robbie. I think he brings a little colour to the game. He has had a good career, he is a good player, a guy who rallies his team.

"Robbie has been playing well for Derby and he and Nigel Clough seem to have a great relationship.

"He is a great example for any young kid trying to make a career for himself in football, the desire to be something, when you see the fruits of what Robbie has done over the last few years.

"I was never a gifted player but my determination, will and drive allied to working with some very good people helped me and I am sure Savage will compliment his mentors, people he has worked with.

"He annoys the life out of the opposition and he can instigate a fight in an empty barn. He is good at that.

"Our players have got to have the maturity not to be taking the bait at all if Robbie is up to his mind games.

"We've got bigger fish to fry than having a spat with Robbie and getting involved in that. That will be taking our eye off the ball and not being professional.

"Robbie will use his mind games and experience and quite rightly. I would do so as well."

McLeish believes taunts from the Birmingham fans will only fire Savage up further.

He said: "I think he thrives on that. That is the sort of thing that motivates him.

"It would be better if the Blues fans never shouted his name at all and gave him a silent reception. Robbie would probably be surprised by that and not play as well."

McLeish admits the FA Cup has lost some of its sparkle since the growth of the Premier League.

But he concedes it has taken on extra importance for City who have virtually made sure of top-flight survival for another season.

He said: "Maybe the cup has lost a bit because the Premier League is all powerful for teams to concentrate on either staying up or trying to win championships.

"Arsene Wenger is on record as saying he would rather finish third than win the two cups. It shows how important the Premier League is.

"The FA Cup does not have the magic it had before the inception of the Premier League.

"As the Premier League has gained momentum, it has maybe not become as important - but, when you get to the position we are in, then all of a sudden the FA Cup has become a beautiful trophy again.

"We know there is an opportunity here but so will Derby. They will have a full house, their fans will be raising the roof.

"Our 5,500 fans will be trying to out-shout them so it has the makings of a classic cup tie and both teams will be pulling everything out to try and win it."

Anyone think Sav might be sent off tommorrow ?

The ref is Martin Atkinson so far this season he had booked ... 124 players in 30 games.

Today's starting line-ups for the FA Cup 5th Round clash between Derby County and Premier League Birmingham City at Pride Park have been confirmed.

The Rams are unsurprisingly unchanged from the midweek victory over Newcastle United, but there are changes on the bench with Ben Pringle in for the cup-tied David Martin and Youth Team midfielder Ryan Connolly selected in place of the injured Gary Teale.

Derby County: Bywater, Hunt, Buxton, Barker, McEveley, Tonge, Green, Savage, Pearson, Commons, Hulse

Subs: Deeney, Anderson, Moxey, Porter, Pringle, R Connolly, Vidal

Birmingham City: Hart, Carr, Bowyer, Ridgewell, Larsson, Jerome, Benitez, Ferguson, Johnson, Dann, McFadden

Subs: Taylor, Phillips, Madera, Fahey, Parnaby, Vignal, Gardner

Archived