Terry Stripped of England Captaincy

Day

The Football Association have confirmed John Terry has been stripped of the England captaincy following allegations over his private life.

Terry's future as skipper of his country has been the subject of intense speculation ever since allegations emerged that he had an affair with England team-mate Wayne Bridge's ex-girlfriend.

The Chelsea star met with England coach Fabio Capello at Wembley on Friday afternoon to discuss his future as captain in the wake of the reports.

There have been calls for Terry to lose the armband from sections of the media as it has been claimed more revelations are set to be exposed.

The FA made it clear Capello alone would decide Terry's fate and the Italian has decided to take the captaincy away from the 29-year-old.

Capello was aware the matter needed to be dealt with prior to his departure for Warsaw on Saturday ahead of Sunday's Euro 2012 draw and reports suggest the meeting only lasted 12 minutes as Capello delivered the bad news.

A statement from Capello read: "After much thought, I have made the decision that it will be best for me to take the captaincy away from John Terry.

"As a captain with the team, John Terry has displayed extremely positive behaviour. However, I have to take into account other considerations and what is best for all of the England squad.

"What is best for all of the England team has inspired my choice.

"John Terry was notified first.

"When I chose John Terry as captain, I also selected a vice-captain and also named a third choice. There is no reason to change this decision.

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank the FA, particularly Lord David Triesman and Ian Watmore, for allowing me to make this decision in my own time and in the best interest of the team."

Terry has received support from Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti with the Italian claiming it was business as usual for the club captain in training ahead of Sunday's clash with Arsenal.

The news throws England's plans for the World Cup into disarray with Capello now forced to look for a new captain for this summer's tournament in South Africa.

Sky Sports News understands Rio Ferdinand, who was overlooked for the job after Capello took charge in 2008, will assume the captaincy despite his injury problems this season.

Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard and Wayne Rooney have also been mentioned as possible replacements, but it seems Ferdinand is set to take up the role.

http://www.skysports.com/football/world-cup-2010/story/0,27032,12098_5920189,00.html

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Makes sense, not...a fiver says he won't even be fit for the World Cup. I would of given it Rooney, seems to have matured on the pitch in the last year. Nobody tries harder and plays with as much passion as he does, given the captains armband could take him up a level if thats even possible.

Makes sense, not...a fiver says he won't even be fit for the World Cup. I would of given it Rooney, seems to have matured on the pitch in the last year. Nobody tries harder and plays with as much passion as he does, given the captains armband could take him up a level if thats even possible.

I wouldn't the last thing I'd want to do is put more pressure on the lad and risk his performance. However, I would make either Lampard or Gerrard the captain because Rio is ******* useless

Do you think it was a good decision or a bad decision?

well its neither a good or bad decision, rio has to be in form to make it into the squad yet

but terry will be in the squad regardless, so doesnt really matter, he just wont have the armband.

as for rooney, ferdinand and gerrard, well its all much of a muchness isnt it.

cappello has only really dont what the press wanted, it doesnt matter anyway as one of the above will be injured by the worldcup so we will only be having this conversation again in a couple of months time

Thing what gets my goat is the English media, don't want England to win the World Cup?

Why release a story that will rock the boat in the England camp 5 months from the World Cup?......yeah yeah I know the answer, to sell papers.

No doubt come May they will be saying how we're going to win the World Cup blah blah, then when we do ***** they will be on Capello's back trying to stir some ***** to get him sacked.

Thing what gets my goat is the English media, don't want England to win the World Cup?

Why release a story that will rock the boat in the England camp 5 months from the World Cup?......yeah yeah I know the answer, to sell papers.

No doubt come May they will be saying how we're going to win the World Cup blah blah, then when we do ***** they will be on Capello's back trying to stir some ***** to get him sacked.

yep and it will all be terrys fault too, when in reality its there fault, i hate the media in this country, the only thing i thank is that we dont have american media every day, that is bloody warped

Archived