Our best yet??

Day

Nigel Clough saluted the best performance yet in his two months as Derby County manager and felt his team was unlucky not to beat Swansea City.

Two goals from striker Chris Porter, Clough’s first signing, put Derby in the driving seat at Pride Park Stadium last night but the visitors hit back to draw 2-2.

Their equaliser came four minutes from time from substitute Gorka Pintado after Derby had twice struck the woodwork.

Now Clough has asked for more of the same from his players as they look to secure safety in the Championship.

Results elsewhere mean the cushion between Derby and the bottom three is down to five points but Clough was encouraged by what he saw against Swansea, who are chasing a play-off place.

“I don’t think we could have done too much more to get a victory,†he said.

"We think the overall performance is the best since we have been here.

"We were very, very encouraged and it was against a quality team. We have played teams in and around us but Swansea, positionally, are one of the best teams we have faced.

"Taking that into consideration, we are extremely pleased with the level of performance.

"Yes we conceded two goals but in terms of going forward and our general football, I thought it was very good indeed.

"The workrate was tremendous. It only produced a point but it deserved three.

“We will settle for that performance between now and the end of the season – every week.â€Â

Derby led 1-0 at Doncaster last Friday and came away empty-handed from the Keepmoat Stadium much to Clough’s annoyance. And they were two-up against Swansea but drew.

“This time it was different because we did not give the goals away, so it doesn’t feel as bad,†said Clough.

"We could have defended better on Swansea’s first goal but we didn’t think it was a free kick that led to it in the first place.

"On the second, the ball was bobbling around – it even hit the referee at one stage – and we couldn’t quite clear but it is one of them where if it drops a bit more kindly then we don’t concede.

“But at any time it could have gone 3-1 and it would have been game over.â€Â

Porter, who struck after 14 and 48 minutes, was left with mixed emotions at the final whistle.

“I’m just really glad to get off the mark,†said the 25-year-old.

"I was delighted to get two goals but disappointed we didn’t win the game.

“I thought we played really well, though, and deserved the three points. We were unlucky not to get them.â€Â

[url=http://therams.co.uk/stories/our-best-yet-2]http://therams.co.uk/stories/our-best-yet-2

Our best yet? What about beating the World Club Champions 1-0?

Last night 18 attempts on goal and we score 2, Swansea were just as poor defensively, we should of walked this game 4 or 5-0 at least!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived