Substitutes second half

MackworthRamIsGod

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Kirkbyram said:

I think we actually lost the game with the first substitute. Losing keogh’s passing ability is huge and I think it was a good opportunity to drop Huddlestone into the back 4 and put Thorne into midfield. Having Davies and Pearce as a back 2 changes everything about the way we’ve been playing recently as neither of them has the ability or confidence to step out with the ball. I hope, if keogh is out for a while, that we’d do this rather than playing Pearce. I’m sure Davies and Huddlestone would know each other’s game pretty well from their time at Hull. 

Exactly right for yesterday. We need the ability to pass or carry the ball out from the centrehalves and only Keogh or Big Tom would give us this. Rowett really screwed up the subs. He's said Thorne is ready but he couldn't bring him in because the team had been doing so well. We all know Thorne can be the transformational player to take the league by the scruff of the neck, and here was a golden opportunity to let him start that.

Putting a player on the bench who you're not prepared to bring on is just silly. Luke Thomas or Charles Vernam should have been back on there. Not using a third substitution, effectively (given Keogh came off at the start) only making one tactical switch all game, is poor management.

A bad day at the office indeed and a bad day for Rowett. We should have properly gone for it and if we'd won 5-4 it would have been season-defining. Missed opportunity.

Archived