Davies Confident of Fitness

Day

STEVE Davies says he feels as fit as he has ever been following his latest return from injury.

Davies has been plagued by injuries since his move to Derby County in the summer of 2008.

But he came off the bench to score a crucial extra-time equaliser against Millwall on Tuesday night to help send the Rams through to the fourth round of the FA Cup.

Nigel Clough's side were heading out of the competition when Steve Morison gave Millwall a 108th-minute lead at Pride Park.

But Davies hit back in style six minutes later to send the tie to penalties.

He also scored from the spot as the Rams won the shoot-out 5-3.

Davies has now made four substitute appearances since coming back from a hamstring problem in the middle of December.

He has not started a match since August 22, when he suffered an ankle injury in the home win over Plymouth Argyle.

For a player who only turned 22 last month, Davies has had his fair share of injuries.

He suffered a serious knee injury when he was at Tranmere Rovers in 2007-8 and had a stop-start first season with Derby.

He suffered a fractured eye socket and cheekbone, had a hernia operation, struggled with a groin problem and was even kept out by an infected toe.

Davies is now hoping to enjoy some better luck in 2010.

"Everyone knows I haven't had the best of records with injury," he said.

"But I've been working hard during my time out and I don't think I've felt fitter, physically.

"Obviously, match fitness is different but I am a lot bigger and a lot stronger. I've done a lot of work in the gym.

"So, hopefully, the rest of the season will hold good things.

"I'm confident in myself that I can put a run of games together now and kick on from there."

Davies' well-taken leveller against Millwall was his first goal since March, when he scored in a 1-1 draw at Southampton.

It was his fifth goal in 32 appearances for Derby, although only 14 of those have been starts.

"Obviously, it was nice to score and it's just nice to be back out there playing," he added.

"I've had a lot of niggles but it's good to have got through three consecutive matches, albeit as a substitute.

"I know what I can do and the staff and the lads know what I am capable of.

"Hopefully, I can stay fit and keep getting out there and scoring goals."

Davies believes today's game at London Road could be one of the Rams' toughest of the season.

Posh are bottom of the Championship following their promotion from League One but the Rams are only five points clear of the relegation zone, having lost three consecutive home games.

In their last outing at London Road, Peterborough battled back from 4-0 down against promotion-chasing Cardiff City to snatch a dramatic 4-4 draw.

"It will be one of the toughest games of the season. They are down at the bottom but are fighting for their lives," said Davies, who has called on the fans to stick with the team during their recent struggles.

"I think there is a lot of pressure around the place after the Ssausagehorpe game," he said.

"And after going a goal down against Millwall in extra-time, I think it took a lot of character from the lads to come back from that.

"We were grateful for the fans who came to watch us, even if the attendance was quite low.

"I know it is tough for them to pay to come to every game, so a big thanks goes out to them.

"All the boys know what we can do and are disappointed with what we've done recently.

"But what I would say to the fans is just stick with us and we will do our best to put it right.

"We all know we'll be all right come the end of the season. It's just disappointing that, at the moment, we're not putting in good performances for the fans who are paying good money to come and watch us.

"But everyone is going to stick together. We know what a great club this is."

http://www.therams.co.uk/news/Rams-Striker-confident-fitness-shaking-latest-injury/article-1717255-detail/article.html

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Da da da da Stevieeeeeeeeeeee Davies - let's hope he stays fit - i think he may of scored more goals than Hulse if he had stayed fit - it was nice to see him at Ipswich sitting with the fans and not with the players behind the dugout, i agree as well it will be one of the toughest games of the season.

Archived