2010 FIFA World Cup draw thread

Day

England have been confirmed among the top eight seeds for Friday's draw for the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa.

Reports had suggested that Fabio Capello's side were in danger of missing out on being a top seed, but those fears have proved to be unfounded.

However, 1998 winners and 2006 finalists France, who secured their place at the tournament with a controversial play-off win over Republic of Ireland, are not one of the top seeds.

Fifa's World Cup organising committee used the world rankings from October to determine who would be in Pot 1, with England having been seventh in the standings at that time.

Joining England as top seeds for Friday's draw are hosts South Africa, current holders Italy and five-time winners Brazil.

European champions Spain, Holland, Germany and Argentina will also come out of Pot 1 for the first-round stage.

Also joining France in missing out on top billing are fellow play-off winners Portugal, with the European duo in Pot 4 alongside Denmark, Greece, Serbia, Slovenia, Slovakia and Switzerland.Pot 2 comprises teams from the Asian, Oceania and Concacaf federations, with Australia, Japan, North Korea, South Korea, Honduras, Mexico, USA and New Zealand those teams involved.

The remaining African nations - Algeria, Cameroon, Ghana, Ivory Coast and Nigeria - and Chile, Paraguay and Uruguay from South America will come out of Pot 3.

The decision to use world rankings alone breaks with Fifa's previous formulas when they used a combination of rankings with performances in previous final tournaments.

Had they used the old formula France would have been one of the top seeds and Holland would have missed out.

Rankings alone have not been used in the past, but Fifa relaunched the system with much fanfare a couple of years ago, boasting the new-look rankings were much more indicative of a country's current position in world football.

Geographical criteria will also be used for the draw, meaning that, with the exception of European teams, no two countries from the same federation can be drawn together.

So, hosts South Africa will not face one of the African teams from Pot 3, while Argentina or Brazil will not meet a fellow South American side.

Seedings:

Pot 1 - South Africa, Argentina, Brazil, England, Germany, Holland, Italy, Spain.

Pot 2 - Australia, Japan, North Korea, South Korea, Honduras, Mexico, USA, New Zealand

Pot 3 - Algeria, Cameroon, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay

Pot 4 - Denmark, France, Greece, Portugal, Serbia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Switzerland

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12098_5739695,00.html

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

England

North Korea

New Zealand

Ivory Coast

Can we dream? ;)

Though I reckon New Zealand and Australia will put in a very good show. When the world cup is in Europe, it is a major disadvantage to any non-European team and this works vice versa when it's played out of Europe.

I'm really excited about the WC and I'm seriously thinking of making the trip to SA for it and taking a Derby County flag.

im ment to be going south africa, gotta save up some moolah first though

dont do it barrman!

you take the wrong turning in some of those places in s africa,

and you will be very lucky to make it out safe.

believe me when i say its a cess pit from top to bottom,

you stray from the guided path and your luck is in the hands of the gods.

i suppose if you travel in large numbers your gonna be ok also if you stay inside your complex your gonna be ok , but when your on the streets of jo,burg or durbo ???

South Africa is a country with its problems and has a bad image, but I guess there are worser places (Zimbabwe, Burma) so the media should give it a break.

Let the 2010 World Cup be an opportunity to change its image.

I want to go there for a safari and that too.

joe i take it you have not been before to s a?

there are some breathtaking places to be visited ,

but believe me when i tell you ,you take the wrong turn or make the wrong move and your life could be in jeapordy!

car jackings, muggings, rape, all happen in BROAD DAYLIGHT!

these people who have nothing hold no fear to the rules of the land .

im not trying to scare any one off, all im saying is stay in groups(LARGE)

AND STAY WITHIN THE CONFINES OF YOUR ACCOMODATION

ive been!

not for a holiday either .

i had the misfortune to have to go with work:frown:

i dont think any cup competition including the World Cup and Champions League should have seedings.

just put all the teams in a bag and pull em out and if you get England,Spain,Brazil and Italy in a group then thats how it is.

and im not going to South Africa cos its too dangerous

South Africa is a country with its problems and has a bad image, but I guess there are worser places (Zimbabwe, Burma) so the media should give it a break.

Let the 2010 World Cup be an opportunity to change its image.

I want to go there for a safari and that too.

£2500 including group stage tickets @ thomas cook;)

Archived