Characters in football

Tony Le Mesmer

I don't feel that football has any proper characters anymore. The really interesting but baffling ones, the eccentric ones, the ones who don't feel it necessary to conform to what the media want within an inch of their lives.

I just feel that the ones we supposedly do have are really more better known characterwise for their arrogance and posing. Ibrahimovic. Ronaldo. Mourinho. All concerned with enhancing self image. Then the likes of Joey Barton et al. Players who think they are the dogs and could run the country when in fact they're just ****** obsessed with posting crap on twitter that isn't going to change anything ever.

I want the nut jobs but in a good way. The ones who do things to entertain in a positive way. The funny, happy ones who dont take themselves seriously but at the same time aren't entrenched in immature laddish banter on the pitch or on telly.

There are just no real personalities that you can warm to anymore. I like Jürgen Klopp though. Whenever I see him on screen I just can't help but smile and wish he was my mate. Sounds a great, fun bloke. Mourinho on the other hand.....

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I don't feel that football has any proper characters anymore. The really interesting but baffling ones, the eccentric ones, the ones who don't feel it necessary to conform to what the media want within an inch of their lives.

I just feel that the ones we supposedly do have are really more better known characterwise for their arrogance and posing. Ibrahimovic. Ronaldo. Mourinho. All concerned with enhancing self image. Then the likes of Joey Barton et al. Players who think they are the dogs and could run the country when in fact they're just ****** obsessed with posting crap on twitter that isn't going to change anything ever.

I want the nut jobs but in a good way. The ones who do things to entertain in a positive way. The funny, happy ones who dont take themselves seriously but at the same time aren't entrenched in immature laddish banter on the pitch or on telly.

There are just no real personalities that you can warm to anymore. I like Jürgen Klopp though. Whenever I see him on screen I just can't help but smile and wish he was my mate. Sounds a great, fun bloke. Mourinho on the other hand.....

Think professional sport in general has less in general nowadays. The win at all costs mentality and some the money in some sports in particular has had a massive affect.

10 minutes ago, sage said:

To quote Alan Hansen 'characters are for mid table teams'.

Winning is everything these days.

He will need to have a word with Bruce Grobbolaer then....

Archived