DJ Campbell - Leicester City

vicky-27

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But they wouldnt from other performances for us.

And his goal.

And I'm sure Sheff Wednesday fans would say the same about Varney, any player can have a bad game, Sheff Wednesday fans seem to like him so maybe it was just one of those days against Ipswich.

And I'm sure Sheff Wednesday fans would say the same about Varney, any player can have a bad game, Sheff Wednesday fans seem to like him so maybe it was just one of those days against Ipswich.

They must of had no-one on the left wing before him.

The only way he is an improvement that from time to time the ball might hit him or the oposition run into him...

All your doing is going against your valid point you made earlier making it void now.

Having read a Leicester forum last night 99% of the members were saying DJ was ***** and were laughing at us, now your saying thats expected yet your doing exactly the same as they are with Varney.

Different players perform better in different teams with different tactics. Whilst here Varney was never given his own position and a chance to show what he could do, one week he would be in the hole, the next a lone striker in 4-5-1.

Varney has obviously been given a settled position now at Sheff Wed and has impressed the fans, I'm hoping DJ can do the same at Derby if he comes. I'm not exactly hopefull of that happening and Dickov has still not done enough for me to warrant all the praise he has been given.

All your doing is going against your valid point you made earlier making it void now.

Having read a Leicester forum last night 99% of the members were saying DJ was ***** and were laughing at us, now your saying thats expected yet your doing exactly the same as they are with Varney.

Different players perform better in different teams with different tactics. Whilst here Varney was never given his own position and a chance to show what he could do, one week he would be in the hole, the next a lone striker in 4-5-1.

Varney has obviously been given a settled position now at Sheff Wed and has impressed the fans, I'm hoping DJ can do the same at Derby if he comes. I'm not exactly hopefull of that happening and Dickov has still not done enough for me to warrant all the praise he has been given.

Varney was given enough chances imo.

We tried him in a few positions, and just wasnt good enough.

I've seen them on tv a few times and him playing, and many wednesdayites opinions of him arent as great as people think, hes just filling a role on the wing and has scored a few for them, that makes him a top player in a few of there fans minds.

I can't agree, 9 games last season under 2 managers and I bet he played a different position each time. Also those 9 games didn't come one after each other either. A player needs a settled position in a settled team to be given a fair chance to prove what he can do.

Sheff Wednesday are a point above us in the table, how many points has Varney helped them earn whilst we've been struggling with an injury crisis and not being able to put enough subs on the bench?

I remember we tried him on the wing, after hearing how he was decent there. And was no better than Teale.

We should never of signed Varney, the most typical and rushed signing ive seen since ive been watching Derby.

Jewell knew he had to do something so had to bid a stupid ammount on a chance player with an old proven record.

Absolute dross.

I agree it was a rushed signing at the time, what I don't agree is that he's been given a fair chance at Derby. Footballers play better when confident, he was never given a decent run in the team to build any confidence. Look at how long it took Steve Howard to get going when he arrived, he was played in the same position and kept getting games despite not getting any goals. Even now Teale manages to keep his place week in week out despite being totally *****.

I agree it was a rushed signing at the time, what I don't agree is that he's been given a fair chance at Derby. Footballers play better when confident, he was never given a decent run in the team to build any confidence. Look at how long it took Steve Howard to get going when he arrived, he was played in the same position and kept getting games despite not getting any goals. Even now Teale manages to keep his place week in week out despite being totally *****.

Okay, were not realy going anywhere with this.

I just dont think Varney will ever be a part of this team majorly again as he has nothing more to offer for us.

He may fit well into there team at the owls. But here he just doesnt, maybe in league one he might make an adequate midfielder but for me i dont want to see him back. Even though Teale does have some shockers, he has quite decent control going forward and can cross decent on his day. We've got a team of average players at the moment the way i see it, the only players who can excell when are fit for example for me Commons (on confidence), Pearson (looking good already since back), (Porter might help us out up top), Barnesy (Maybe if he gets back soon), Davies i always thought looked quite good on the wing aswell when he is back.

Just wouldnt be a place in the team for Varney to get a look in, sell to the highest bidder plx.

And I agree totally with you on that, when Commons, Davies, Pearson, Barnes are all back he would be surplus to requirements. At the moment I would rather have him on our bench that helping a rival club down the road pick up points. However last season we didn'nt have Commons, Davies, Croft.

Just agree with me and we can all get back to the excitment of DJ Campbell's arrival. :D

DERBY County are expected to complete the loan signing of Leicester City striker DJ Campbell today.

The Rams have beaten off Championship rivals Sheffield Wednesday in the race to sign the 28-year-old, who will go straight into the squad for Saturday's home game against Reading.

"Tom Glick (chief executive) has been working on it for a few days," said manager Nigel Clough.

"There was competition from Sheffield Wednesday but geographically I think we were in the best position, not too far from Leicester, for the player.

"We think he will be a good addition for us if we can just get it completed."

Campbell, who has struggled to win a place in Leicester's team this season, should be registered as a Rams player today and will stay until just after Christmas.

He has made only three appearances as a substitute for the Foxes, whom he joined in a £1.6m deal in July 2007, signing a four-year contract. However, he hit nine in 20 matches while on loan at Blackpool last season.

Asked if Derby had a job convincing Campbell to join them given their lowly position in the table, Clough replied: "No, I don't think so.

"Sheffield Wednesday are in a similar sort of position and he probably sees coming to us as a better chance of getting regular first-team football.

"One or two higher placed clubs might have established strikers playing, and he might think he was swapping a place on one bench for a place on another.

"With us only having two recognised strikers fit at the moment in Rob Hulse and Paul Dickov, he has got a very good chance of being involved."

Wednesday are 17th in the table, one point and two places above Derby.

Clough wants to inject some pace into his squad especially with James Vaughan only due back from Everton in January once he has recovered from a knee injury.

Derby already have three players on loan in Jake Livermore, Fredrik Stoor and Dickov.

Clubs are allowed to name five loan players in their 18 on match days.

Reserve team striker Aleksander Prijovic could leave the club in January.

Danish League leaders OB Odense are keen on the 19-year-old who trained with them last week and scored in a trial match.

"They are very interested in taking him in January, so we are just trying to get a deal done if they want to do one," said Clough.

"If not, we will probably look to get him out on loan. If we can do it before the deadline, we will do. If not, in January."

The deadline for emergency loans is 5pm tonight.

http://www.therams.co.uk/news/Striker-Campbell-agrees-Rams-loan/article-1542517-detail/article.html

Derby County have injected some much-needed pace into their attack today with the capture of DJ Campbell from Leicester City.

The 28-year-old striker has joined the Rams on loan until January from their Championship rivals and goes straight into the Derby squad to face Reading at Pride Park Stadium on Saturday.

Manager Nigel Clough has made no secret of his desire to add pace into his forward line with Steven Davies still sidelined with a hamstring injury and Chris Porter working his way back to fitness after a hip operation at the start of the season.

He told dcfc.co.uk: "I'm really pleased we've managed to get the deal done to bring DJ here.

"He has raw pace and as I've said already this week that is something we've been missing up top.

"It certainly gives us another option and more competition alongside Rob Hulse, Paul Dickov and Chris Porter, who is getting closer to full fitness.

"This is a deal we've worked hard on and it is always nice when your hard work pays off."

Campbell burst onto the scene in 2005 during non-league Hayes & Yeading's run to the Third Round of the FA Cup and attracted interest from a number of Football League clubs.

League One Brentford took a punt on Campbell in the summer of 2005 and he went on to score 12 goals in 28 games for the Bees during the 2005/06 season.

His form caught the eye of Steve Bruce and Birmingham City, who splashed out £500,000 for his services in January 2006 and Campbell played a key role in their promotion back to the Premier League the following campaign, before joining Leicester for an initial fee of £1.6 Million in the summer of 2007.

Campbell spent the latter part of last season on loan at Championship side Blackpool, where he made a major impact by finishing top scorer at Bloomfield Road with 9 goals, guiding them to Championship safety.

Campbell has made three appearances off the bench for the 3rd-placed Foxes this season, and he was an unused substitute in Derby's 0-0 draw at the Walkers Stadium back in October.

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10270~1886765,00.html

When we almost signed Kisnorbo who played a huge part in getting them promoted at the back.

Kisnorbo only played eight league games for them last season, and they only won two of them. Doesn't sound like a huge contribution to a promotion winning team.

Campbell played about the same number of games for them and didn't get a goal.

He's got a decent record for other clubs though so maybe it's down to his attitude.

Archived