Tonkers Ripley

Sith Happens

Sith Happens

The Ripley hippodrome is due to be pulled down. 

Had some great times in Tonkers in the early 90's, was a dump, you stuck to the floor, that busy it took ages to get served but good times non the less. 

A shame nothing could be done with the building.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprised they're letting it get torn down? Should be quite a job as its in between other buildings isn't it?

they ought to turn it back into a cinema like Belper did with their old place.

I remember watching the first Superman film at Ripley cinema.

Sith Happens
24 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Surprised they're letting it get torn down? Should be quite a job as its in between other buildings isn't it?

they ought to turn it back into a cinema like Belper did with their old place.

I remember watching the first Superman film at Ripley cinema.

I remember queuing round the block to watch ET. It will just end up as another poundland or something like that now.

Shame that, like you say @Paul71 it was a dump , but it was fun ? . Some good memories from in there . I remember walking out late one Christmas eve and I was that pissed I slipped straight over on that shitty tiled floor in the entrance ?. Can't believe I used to pay £3 to get in there. 

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Shame that, like you say @Paul71 it was a dump , but it was fun ? . Some good memories from in there . I remember walking out late one Christmas eve and I was that pissed I slipped straight over on that shitty tiled floor in the entrance ?. Can't believe I used to pay £3 to get in there. 

Must have be a gold mine back then...back in the day when Ripley was packed every friday and saturday. 2 or 3 hours in tonkers then down to the old regal, the one before the fire.

In the mid 90's i did some taxi driving to earn some extra money, i used to pick up the old lady who worked in the kiosk (im sure it was mrs tonks) and she used to always give me some cans of beer as a tip.

4 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Must have be a gold mine back then...back in the day when Ripley was packed every friday and saturday. 2 or 3 hours in tonkers then down to the old regal, the one before the fire.

In the mid 90's i did some taxi driving to earn some extra money, i used to pick up the old lady who worked in the kiosk (im sure it was mrs tonks) and she used to always give me some cans of beer as a tip.

Was it red stripe ? They always used to sell cans of red stripe behind the bar ?. It's like a ghost town up there on a Friday now , Saturdays still quite busy .

Sith Happens
27 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Was it red stripe ? They always used to sell cans of red stripe behind the bar ?. It's like a ghost town up there on a Friday now , Saturdays still quite busy .

Ha think its whatever she could get, had all sorts. But yes they did do red stripe in there.

Archived